Beloved's picture

Beloved

Usernames - Old or New?

Wondercafe2 . . . do you hope to be able to take (register) your old username on the new site?  Or do you hope to have a new username? 

Does it make any difference to you?

Share this

Comments

chansen's picture

chansen

Dcn. Jae wrote:
Kimmio wrote:
Jae, I think you should pick one name and stick with it. I didn't know you as Jubilee. You were Morning Calm when I arrived.
Oh, I had a bunch of different usernames before you came along, then, cousin. I'm sticking with Dcn. Jae here on the classic wondercafe, then will switch to an old name, Jubilee, once the new place is open.

Choose carefully, because my argument is going to be that the only good reason for a name change will be genuine privacy and security concerns. I think name changes like the ones you've historically done after you've embarrassed yourself detract from the forum. Just like real life, you create your own reputation, and you should not be able to run from that because it's convenient. You have to rehabilitate your own image. You shouldn't get to start from a clean slate because it's easier.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:
Kimmio wrote:
Jae, I think you should pick one name and stick with it. I didn't know you as Jubilee. You were Morning Calm when I arrived.
Oh, I had a bunch of different usernames before you came along, then, cousin. I'm sticking with Dcn. Jae here on the classic wondercafe, then will switch to an old name, Jubilee, once the new place is open.

Choose carefully, because my argument is going to be that the only good reason for a name change will be genuine privacy and security concerns. I think name changes like the ones you've historically done after you've embarrassed yourself detract from the forum. Just like real life, you create your own reputation, and you should not be able to run from that because it's convenient. You have to rehabilitate your own image. You shouldn't get to start from a clean slate because it's easier.

Those are strong words, chansen, but certainly a just argument.

Reputation is indeed a very important and valuable thing.

"A good reputation is preferable to riches, and the approval of others is better than precious silver or gold." - Proverbs 22:1 (VOICE)

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Jae, I thought you weren"t going to move to the new site so I guess you don't need a name. Bwwaaaaaaa.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

crazyheart wrote:

Jae, I thought you weren"t going to move to the new site so I guess you don't need a name. Bwwaaaaaaa.

I'm an ISFP - unpredictable and independent ;)

Hungry Heart's picture

Hungry Heart

I could easily change to another song by the "Boss", but I think I will stick with Hungry Heart.
Heck I am not known yet as HH, so I don't think I should change it.

Alex's picture

Alex

chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:
Kimmio wrote:

I think that we need to use judgement based on context with rules. we have had a couple of users change their handle for good reasons beside security. long time members for whom the handle they first picked was no longer a good choice. I believe that while we should stick to the existing rules at first, we may and likely will change those. however context is evything in applying rules, otherwsie trolls and others will have fun with us and take resources from the moderators that coukd be spent on other things. Rules have failed us when dealing with trollish and disruptive behaviour in the past. applying context can allow use to deal with the SBs of the world quickly, while giving more patience to people who are authentic, but may have some boorish and attention seking behaviour.(or just more marginalised relative to WC). Now of course there will be differences of opinions on what is acceptable and not contextually but by giving moderators/. Admin room to move will discourage trolls.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Well said, Alex -- SpecialMom -> DaisyJane comes to mind.

chansen's picture

chansen

Perfect example of an exception to the rule I described. But SM/DJ never embarrassed herself. She's an awesome person who just thought she should be known for other things, iirc. She wasn't ducking anything. Jae habitually tries to duck responsibility for his screwups.

Or were they just more social experiments? I'm tired of wondering.

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

there is a definite drawback with choosing a new nick...your social status drops and you have to start over again; length of time in an online group & involvement (which is mostly posts...in the BBS days it was also uploading...) results in higher status, with all the appropriate bennies (authority, trust, believability, to name a few)

it is possible and even ethical to have multiple nicks...i'm thinking of one certain WCer who also wrote as Yoda...

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

chansen wrote:

Perfect example of an exception to the rule I described. But SM/DJ never embarrassed herself. She's an awesome person who just thought she should be known for other things, iirc. She wasn't ducking anything. Jae habitually tries to duck responsibility for his screwups.

Yes, I admit it, I have screwed up many times in the past. That's why I need a Savior :)

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Dcn. Jae wrote:
I want to change my username, but I'm not sure as to what. Something more anonymous. I'm open to suggestions.

howbout:

evernoob

the artist formerly known as

i'm right behind you

my other body is a Timbit

Alex's picture

Alex

The rule could be , No Name Changes unless there is a good reason to change ones name and the admin agrees.  

This gives the impression that name changes will not happen, but allows exception.  

It also prevents people from changing their names too quickly withgout thought , as Jae admits to doing, and prevents troll games or people see,king attention/drama.

chansen's picture

chansen

Dcn. Jae wrote:
chansen wrote:

Yes, I admit it, I have screwed up many times in the past. That's why I need a Savior :)

Or, you need to stop and think before you say or write something. Which is more likely, that a omnipotent deity hears your prayers and forgives you for your social missteps, or you start considering how your own words sound?

I empathize with you because I used to be a lot more like you than you know. And that's probably why I can be tough on you at times. I know why you post what you post, and I know you can do better.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

InannaWhimsey wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:
I want to change my username, but I'm not sure as to what. Something more anonymous. I'm open to suggestions.

howbout:

evernoob

the artist formerly known as

i'm right behind you

my other body is a Timbit

Ha, funny stuff Inanna. Hey, I'm working on the last one. Trying to eat more fruit and veggies. Exercising a bit more too smiley 

BethanyK's picture

BethanyK

I'd change my name. Not sure why I used my given name when I first signed up but I'd like to change it. I'll use a username ive had in other areas for ages.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

sounds like a plan!

GeoFee's picture

GeoFee

Hi chansen...

"I empathize with you because I used to be a lot more like you than you know. And that's probably why I can be tough on you at times. I know why you post what you post, and I know you can do better."

Picture me with a huge grin and just a touch of delight!

George

GeoFee's picture

GeoFee

I gotta be me!

Who else could I be?

Before, now and after...

George (aka GeoFee)

Jim Kenney's picture

Jim Kenney

I need to be jimkenney12 wherever I go. Between SADD (Senior's Attentiion Deficit Disorder) and declining short term memory, I am unwilling to forget who I am accidentally.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

I need to be Crazy Heart

Because I would raher be

asked to  tea

Then left outside with smelly farts.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Dcn. Jae wrote:
Mendalla wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:

I do not care what you call yourself on Wondercafe2 but just be happy with what you choose. Name changes will likely require admin intervention so we will probably limit them in some way. There will be better uses for our time than renaming someone's account every time the whim to change their name comes along.

Mendalla

Right, understood. I'm going back, then, to the username Jubilee.

Update: I'm changing my mind on this decision. It will be easier for everyone if I have a username that has the name Jae in it, since all regulars will end up calling me Jae anyway.

Update: I've sent my request in to preregister at WC2. My username will be: Pr. Jae

Northwind's picture

Northwind

I will likely keep Northwind and maybe modify it slightly for both continuity and newness.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Southwind?

seeler's picture

seeler

I can't imagine myself as anyone but Seeler.  I hope no one has jumped the gun and spoken for that name.  Then we'll have to duel it out.  Otherwise, please reserve Seeler for me.

Inukshuk's picture

Inukshuk

Northwind wrote:

I will likely keep Northwind and maybe modify it slightly for both continuity and newness.

Crosswind?

Whirlwind?

Headwind?

Upwind?  the possibilities are endless...

Pinga's picture

Pinga

JustPassingWind

(Lol, not in choir though! Alto sections are bad but that bad)

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Speaking of choir, anyone heard if there is any chance of getting someone to lead a Wonderchoir2?

Mendalla, ape avatar and all, is how I plan to stay. But the new board has signatures (text that gets automatically added to all your posts) so I can start using my usual signature (a couple lines from a favorite UU hymn) again.

Mendalla

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Does abpenny still have cowbells?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I was rather surprised when I Google Pinga for images to be looking at pictures of penises

Turns out Pinga is Spanish for "penis"

Now, Pinga was a short form for another name so pondering shortening to Ping (my nickname with some friends) or lengthening it (pun intended)

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Hmmmm. Given that a lot of guys pretend to be women on the 'Net...wink

By the way, those images of a Spanish "pinga"? Not acceptable as your avatar, okay?

Mendalla

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Pinga, it would be okay with me. lol

Pilgrims Progress's picture

Pilgrims Progress

Pinga wrote:

I was rather surprised when I Google Pinga for images to be looking at pictures of penises Turns out Pinga is Spanish for "penis" Now, Pinga was a short form for another name so pondering shortening to Ping (my nickname with some friends) or lengthening it (pun intended)

Please feel free to lengthen and extend it - it's the only way I've ever seen "Pingas". cooldevil

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I'm on there for now as Chemgal.  I'm still thinking I'd like to change it, but don't know what to.  Maybe I'll get to it in time for an event or something.

Any suggestions?

Rev. Steven Davis's picture

Rev. Steven Davis

When I signed up on WC years ago, I meant to only identify myself on the church page with full name and title. I actually didn't mean it to be my user name for the whole darn site. So, for WC2 I'm going with revsdd.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Dcn. Jae wrote:
Pr. Jae

Is that "Pastor Jae"? Are congratulations in order here?

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

ummmmm revsdd -just after  I learned it is V and not PH.heart

Rev. Steven Davis

crazyheart wrote:

ummmmm revsdd -just after  I learned it is V and not PH.heart

LOL!!!

Most people never get it right. My name is Steven Davis, but you'd be amazed the number of people who write it out as Stephen Davies. I learned long ago not to be offended by it. I know my name and how to spell it.

Northwind's picture

Northwind

My husband is Stephen, and I grew up on Stephen street. It became Steven too. People do not pay attention. The universe is trying to change my name to Katherine. I do comment because that is not my name. cool

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Mendalla wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:
Pr. Jae

Is that "Pastor Jae"? Are congratulations in order here?

Thanks Mendalla. My official title in my church now is Intern Pastor. Not in fulltime service yet, but I am giving short talks every week, preaching one Sunday every other month, and leading my church's art ministry.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Dcn. Jae wrote:
Thanks Mendalla. My official title in my church now is Intern Pastor. Not in fulltime service yet, but I am giving short talks every week, preaching one Sunday every other month, and leading my church's art ministry.

Sounds great, Jae. I'm glad hear you are moving forward in your plans for ministry. And art ministry? I love the sound of that.

Mendalla

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

yea, art is where its at

fuckin a, Jae -- that's pretty awesome :3

seeler's picture

seeler

Stephen / Steven - my grandson is Stephen.  People are constantly trying to change it to Steven, or shorten it to Steve or Stevie.  An instructor, reading his name "Stephen" and pronouncing it as "Stephane"  got angry at him for not responding.  

So Steve Davis, people try to write your name with a 'ph' - like the British do.

I think more people try to Americanize Stephen to Steven.

By the way - my daughter Joy often has to explain that her name isn't Joyce, and neither is it Joey.  My Mark is not Marc.  And I am Elizabeth, sometimes shortened to Eliz but never Liz, and definitely not Betty.

I'm rather sensitive about names (I understand your concern Northwind.

seeler's picture

seeler

PrJae - it seems like you are moving along in your studies, and up in your church.

Rowan's picture

Rowan

I'm planning to stay Rowan if at all possible, I'm rather attached to my username.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Thank you Mendalla, Inanna, and seeler.

The art ministry is a good fit for my church. We have some really talented people, and the area of Toronto our building is located in, Islington Village, is known as a "village of murals." Many of the businesses in the neighborhood have large murals painted on the sides of their buildings.

Our art ministry has begun with several of us churchgoers painting canvasses for our own basement fellowship hall. In the future we will move things outside of our own walls and into the community.

Rich blessings.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:
chansen wrote:

Or, you need to stop and think before you say or write something. Which is more likely, that a omnipotent deity hears your prayers and forgives you for your social missteps, or you start considering how your own words sound?

I empathize with you because I used to be a lot more like you than you know. And that's probably why I can be tough on you at times. I know why you post what you post, and I know you can do better.

Thank you chansen for your toughness driven by empathy. That's good strong medicine :)

Rev. Steven Davis

seeler wrote:

Stephen / Steven - my grandson is Stephen.  People are constantly trying to change it to Steven, or shorten it to Steve or Stevie.  An instructor, reading his name "Stephen" and pronouncing it as "Stephane"  got angry at him for not responding.  

So Steve Davis, people try to write your name with a 'ph' - like the British do.

I think more people try to Americanize Stephen to Steven.

Actually, my understanding of the two variants of the name is that "Stephen" is derived from the French "Stephane" or "Stephen" and "Steven" is derived from the Greek "Stavros."

gecko46's picture

gecko46

What's in a name?  A rose by any other name would smell as sweetly.....

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Northwind wrote:

My husband is Stephen, and I grew up on Stephen street. It became Steven too. People do not pay attention. The universe is trying to change my name to Katherine. I do comment because that is not my name. cool

Uh...ahem...really sorry Nothwind. :( confession- I sent Northwind a wondermail a little while ago and I forgot her first name. I called her Katherine. We've met. I remember her face well. But I am so used to seeing the avatar name I forgot her first name and I am terribly embarassed about it. I should've asked Inanna first. The older I get the more that happens to me. It's a family trait. My name is Kimmio's just a childhood nickname for my name.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

May God continue to walk with you on your journey,jae.

Back to Social topics
cafe