Beloved's picture

Beloved

Room For All (Part 1V)

Wondercafe is a busy place.  Kind of like a Union Station....a hub of activity with people coming and going all the time.  I'm a people watcher and love to sit in a place like a train station marvelling at all the different types of people that I see and imagining what their lives are like. 

Wondercafe offers us even more.  Here we get to see and meet all kinds of people but even better yet we are offered glimpses into their lives.  They share life's joys, questions, celebrations, disappointments, worries, ambitions, concerrns and even share in their time of loneliness and grief.  And in this place, where people are busy, and people are coming and going, we do what few people do in the real world.  We stop and listen.  We reach out.  And hopefully we help one another.

In some corners of the room people it may get noisy as people banter back and forth.  In other corners of the room it is much quieter, as people not only listen, but they reflect and carefully choose their responses to the person in crisis.  In some areas of the room we ponder life's big questions.  Other areas of the room are silly and often resemble a party of one type or another.  So many people, so many different lives, all carrying different things in their suitcases, and THIS UNION station offers room for all.

In another thread posters were remembering that there are many here missing loved ones this Christmas.  While many celebrate Christmas with decorations, parties, shopping trips and anticipation of a full house....others are wondering what this Christmas will mean with an empty chair.  Some are looking towards Christmas wondering where they will be, who they will be with or who they might be without.  Some who visit here don't believe in Christma.  So how do you decorate the Union Station?

I am opening the doors wide in this thread.  The room is big, the room is inviting, the room is warm.....there is room for all.  Enter in and bring with you whatever you like....you may add decorations to fill the space, you may offer food to nourish others, you may bring only yourself and tell us how you're doing.  You are welcome here.  I'll be happy to see you and sit for a while.   Please continue to welcome others as they enter in and if I'm not in sight, please tend to their needs.  This is a busy union station of people coming and going.  Let's make sure that everyone is recognized and that their needs are met.  If they are happy, let's share in their joy.  If they are sad, let's offer them an ear, a hug and a caring heart.  If they are lost, let's offer them hope that they'll find their way and perhaps some guidance.  If they are hungry, let's feed them.

There is room for all.

Share this

Comments

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Carolla.  Chemguy's around after working away quite a bit, so I'm feeling better.

If anyone knows stuff about blood test results, I'd like to ask some questions about any other possibilities as my doctor didn't know.

I've been thinking about the rest of you and read all the posts here.  I just wasn't up to posting much, I think I started a few that I never posted.  I still care about everyone here :) 

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

I went out with the speech therapists and psychologists after work today. First time in my time here 2 1/2 years that we have done this. Lovely-we went to a restaurant on the water. Like built on pilings in the lake . @ of the gals had been to the local hockey game and had 2 for one appetizer coupons (on the back of tickets).

And so we ordered doubles of 7 appetizers to share. And we each had a drink (or tea). $20 each plus our own drinks and that included a healthy tip. Lovely fun time and works for supper.

Here's to more of these get to gethers!

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Sounds like fun Tabitha, but I think I would prefer the summer to be on the water :)

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Very thin skiff of ice in the protected water right by the shore. Our Lake does not freeze in the winter.  There's a reason I left Edmonton.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Good afternoon everyone!

Hope you get some answers about your tests and any possible future tests, chemgal.

Tabitha - that sounds like a delightful evening and way to meet.

I'm having a really lazy afternoon - haven't even cleaned up the lunch dishes yet.  It is so cold here.  I had to do some errands this morning, and I'm not going anywhere for the rest of the day.  It is bright and sunny though . . . I guess that's a highlight of cold weather.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Go Riders!!!!!!!!!!

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Methinks the city must be flooded with football fans!

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Saskatchewan must be going crazy right about now! I'm not a football fan, but I hope the home team wins!

seeler's picture

seeler

Is this normal?   Nine year old boy - grade 4.  Teacher tells class to put Name and Date on top of page and do an assignment.  Boy writes  "Name" and "Date"  and does the assignment.   The rest of the class put their names  (Corey, Allyson, Cynthia) and the date (Nov. 20) on the page.   Boy argues with teacher that he followed her instructions. 

Boy is my grandson. 

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Student is a very black and white thinker. If he wasn't doing it to be mischevious, and I doubt that he was-I'd be tempted to wonder if perhaps (see me hedging here) he might lean towards Asberger's.

More info is needed. Is he always literal? How are his social skills? Can he pick up subtle social cues? Does he have a range of interests?

Might be worth exploring what's going on with the school.(not you but his mom)

seeler's picture

seeler

Last evening was our regular square dancing evening.  We hate to miss, and Seelerman wanted to go.  I felt ok being there and danced the first dance.  But during the second I felt weak and signaled for someone to take my place.  Watched the rest of the evening, and enjoyed the lunch.

Today I am almost back to normal.  Went bowling and bowled my average.  Fell asleep watching TV, but that is normal.  I'm glad the test is behind me.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

ummm, that is something that I might have done about that age .

It is important to figure out why he did it, and then help him see that if it he did it to be mischevious that being an SD is not going to win him points with his teacher.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Pinga wrote:

ummm, that is something that I might have done about that age .

Glad I'm not alone :)

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I agree with Tabitha though, Asperger's might be an issue too.  Did he know he was being a smart ass?  If so, then a talk about appropriate behaviour is more appropriate.

It reminds me slightly of this link that's been going around facebook.  Look at the typed one:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/292522938268080332/

Luckily for me I had the type of teachers who at that point would regroup and allow me to teach the class.  Teaching is one of the best ways to really learn something well yourself.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Seeler, he's had a lot in a few years, as well.  His moms illness.  His grandma being worried about her health. His parents separation.  A new house. A new person in the house.  lots going on for this young guy.  I would think more about being a stinker than anything

seeler's picture

seeler

Thanks for all your replies.  We are a bit concerned, but hope that it doesn't mean anything other than he (a) was pulling a bad joke or (b) made a mistake and then argued to cover up for it (which is something I could see myself doing at that age). 

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Seeler, there's also option c) he thought he was supposed to be that literal and it isn't a big concern.

I remember around that age (actually thinking about the teacher I think it was Grade 4) hearing about that urban legend (maybe true?) exam.  Everyone was instructed to follow directions.  Ie.  Put their name at the top, read through the entire test before answering any questions.  At the bottom it then says something like write your favourite colour, don't answer any of the questions above and hand your test in.

If the teacher recently told them about this test, your son may have thought there was a trick going on.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Seeler, I'm glad you're feeling like your typical self again!

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

LOL Chemagal-we were given a test like that. A list of instructions. 1. read all instructions first

2. fold paer into 16 squares

3. draw a tree in first square

etc till 16.  Do only step 1 nad 2 and write a paragraph on why it is good to follow instructions.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

I had a test like that. Failed it.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

I failed that one too.

I think he was just being a boy trying to be a little smarty pants with his teacher :).

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

seeler-he's  lucky to have you as a grandmother! I'm sure he feels the love.

I went to a quilt class today and finished a quick jellyroll top. Now I'm new to quilting but I was surprised that I was faster than an aquaintence who makes more quilts in a year than I have made total. Lots of fun and I got a medal! Just borders to add and I bought the fabric today.

I also took a teacher from work. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor this summer. She told me quilting was on her bucket list. So I encouraged her to get her machine up and running. Last weekend we went shopping for the fabric she needed and registered for the course. Today i picked her up. She can't drive(as she had a seizure) but is still able to teach Kindergarten.

It was nice to have someone to go with, and she lives quite close so driving is easy!

She too went home with her quilt top ready for borders.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I had to google jelly roll quilt.  interesting

carolla's picture

carolla

heart tabitha

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Good evening all!

What is a jelly roll quilt?  I guess I wll have to google it too!

Tabitha . . . that is very thoughtful of you.  Sometimes we need someone to come alongside of us and encourage us to step out and do something.  I'm glad you were there for this person.

I've had a busy productive day - a lot of little things got done.  I cleaned the junk off my treadmill and out of my storage room, so now next week I can both walk and get my Christmas decorations out :).

Doing lunch tomorrow after church - egg salad is made.  I will have to make the sandwich meat sandwiches, and the egg, in the morning before we go.  We are doing the lunch, and then we are staying to decorate the sanctuary for Christmas.  My guess, a six hour day at church tomorrow.

I didn't have a great sleep last night so I don't think this will be a late night.  I'm all bathed and in my jammies and ready to go.

May peace be with all,

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Tabitha, thankful you could help her.

Beloved take care of yourself.

I saw BusyMom today as she was nearby picking up her daughter. it was good to catch up with her and her son.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Good afternoon everyone;

I did have a good sleep last night!  Up early, and got sandwiches made, and at church early to set up for luncheon.  We are a group of six who look after the social gathering for baptisms after church.  A great lunch!  Too many sandwiches :).  A beautiful cake, and some homemade cookies.  And a fruit loaf with cheese.  Coffee pot didn't work so we had to use a small home pot and people had to wait sometimes for a cup.

As chair of the board I filled the role of congregational rep - missed a line and had to be cued by the minister :(. 

After church our group stayed and decorate sanctuary for Christmas - looks really nice if I say so myself.  And here I am home by 2:30 - I thought we wouldn't be done til 4 ish.

The ladies of my group presented me with a prayer shawl - thought that was very nice.  I felt blessed, and will continue to be blessed by the prayers.

This year we purchased a nativity set for the sanctuary, from Costco - it is beautiful!  We wondered where we would set it up.  We all ended up agreeing that it should go on the communion table - in the center of the altar.  I don't know how the minister will react . . . if he doesn't like it, we will move it.  What do you think - a good place, or not the right place?

Going to have a lazy afternoon.

Hope, peace, joy, love . . .

Beloved's picture

Beloved

If I were feeling better, and didn't have these health issues . . . I would be sipping on a cold diet coke with lots of ice, eating plain chips and herb and spice chip dip, and having KFC for supper!

But instead I will have baked chicken, sweet potatoes, zuchini, butternut squash, some avacado, and possibly a banana :).

seeler's picture

seeler

Beloved, I would actually prefer the meal you are having to the one you are craving.  But I do understand the feeling of wanting to indulge once in awhile (I've been on very restricted diets for health reasons, as well). 

Tonight I'm having leftover pickings from the turkey carcass  (I cooked a turkey for a church supper last night).  I'm also making stove-top stuffing, gravy, cranberries and yams. 

I found out at church this morning that one of our members - someone I imagined to be one of the most stable, reliable, and 'contented with her life' people I know is in the psyic ward at the hospital with depression.  Few people know - and she isn't having visitors - other than the minister.   I am praying for her.

Also, just an hour or so ago my next door neighbour - a young man who moved in a year or so ago but who I don't know well - knocked on my door to ask if I had heard or seen anything unusual last night.  He'd been away for two days.  His patio door was kicked in and a lot of stuff was missing.  I slept throught it.  But it is discombobulating.  This is considered a safe dull neighbourhood. 

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Hi seeler - sounds like a great supper - are you going to make soup from the turkey bones?

It's funny, I was thinking the other night how I no longer crave junkfood - I hardly ever think about Big Macs - and when I do it is not with the great desire I used to have - same as other junk food items - I guess it was not a desire after all probably, but rather an addition ?  I actually really like the food I am eating these days - I love the veggies!  Somedays I wish I could have a coleslaw or a special salad.  I have started eating romaine lettuce with peppers and olives as a salad with olive oil and sometimes fresh squeezed lemon.

Thinking about your church friend who is struggling with mental health - that's rough - I hope she is able to get appropriate treatment and recover.

Wow!  That would be scary re: neighbour's break-in.  Hope you remain safe.  I often think I live in a dull, safe neighbourhood too - and I never lock my doors during the day . . . but I think that is a habit I am going to have to change.  Life just isn't the same anymore.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Breakins happen everywhere unfortunately.  Sometimes it can be fairly easy for people to discover when people are away.  In school, I recall it usually going through a school because someone mentioned where they were going over holidays.  Now it's social media.

Beloved, I can't recall what's allowed on your diet, but fruit and apple cider vinegar often makes a nice dressing - just adding a few raspberries and tossing the salad tend to give everything that flavor if they are a bit overripe or previously frozen.  Lime juice instead of lemon mixes things up too :)

I agree with Seeler though.  Ugh - KFC!  I used to like some of their stuff.  The last time I was there though, they didn't have the items I used to order and the coating on the chicken made me feel horrible.

I'm still having issues dealing with my last appointment.  Waiting is frustrating and I do get anxious, but it helps when I look ahead to a date knowing I'll have some answers.  Other than the numbers of bloodwork I didn't get that.  I'm also feeling bitter that I had to wait so long just to get those numbers.  They won't just tell you the numbers because they want a doctor to explain them to you.  I didn't get that though, I got no extra info than if I could have signed in onto a website to read them.  Any advice on coping?  I've been dwelling on this way too much, and I'm only capable of temporarily distracting myself.  I fell asleep sometime after 4am last night because of it.

carolla's picture

carolla

chemgal - you might find this article interesting ... http://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/how-your-negativity-bias-hurts-you.html

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Carolla.  Today was better probably because of being exhausted.  I've been trying to focus on the positives of this situation, but when I try I just start to feel more negative.  It sounds like more distractions and focusing on completely unrelated positive things is worth trying.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Hurrah for me! A 23 year old just came over for 2 hours and swept and vaccumed and wiped counters and the place feels 100% better. I still need to unclutter and tidy but I can see my way out of the mess now.

My energy is not yet back-I did church and grocery shopping today and then napped.

But while this gal worked I did too (mostly) and son did some stuff.

I have a regualr cleaning lady booked starting Wed.

When my lungs aren't clear-sweeping and vaccuuming makes them worse. And it's at the bottom of things I'd rather spend my energy on.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Tabitha, have you gone back to the doctor since the antibiotics?  A pulmonary function test might be a good idea at this point.  Glad to hear you're taking care of yourself while getting your house clean :)

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I called to check about the referal and they have no record of me needing one.  I am beyond frustrated.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Oh poor chrmgal. Sounds like you need to keep on them.

I'm not sure I need a pulmony function test. I'll wait and see and no I haven't been back to doctor.

carolla's picture

carolla

Cleaning lady is a GREAT idea tabitha!  Worth every penny, I say!!  Even when we're feeling okay - I'm with you about housekeeping not being at the top of my "love to do" list. 

chemgal - maybe it's also about letting go of a disappointment that pissed you off & not replaying it.  It was what it was; sucks, but that was it.  Okay - what's next?  Using up your energy on 'shoulds' often is exhausting ... and not very fruitful.  

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I'm really trying.  The person who was supposed to call me back has gone home for today, even though the clinic is still open.  More waiting.

carolla's picture

carolla

Okay - they've gone home for today.  Tomorrow will come & you will connect.  Do something else tonight. :-)   Of course you're trying - I get that.  What's for dinner?

chemgal's picture

chemgal

We need groceries and neither wanted to go, so we had Wendy's already.  We'll probably do some cleaning and play some games tonight.

seeler's picture

seeler

My daughter phoned me tonight with the best present ever -  she has some vacation time coming.  She's offered me a day (actually two half-days) for us to do Christmas baking - cakes, cookies, nuts'n bolts, whatever.  I've suggested two mornings - I'm better in the mornings.  Just think how much we can get done if I have everything organized in advance.   And I was worried about it.   I dn't accmplish much in a day anymore. 

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

What a alovely gift-time together and baking! Enjoy Seeler

and you know your daughter would be happy to bake while you sat in a chair and drank tea and watched or visited! Take it easy on your self.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

How incredibly thoughtful of her.  A gift of time and energy to create foodstuffs together.  Wishing you joy, fun, laughter and good things to share.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

I hope that there is lots of joy, laughter, and love floating around the kitchen while you and your daughter do this special preparation for the coming Christmas season.  Memories will be created, and a big undertaking will be shared in two!  You are blessed!

Off to the church this morning . . . lots to do . . . then some errands.  I am trying to decorate for Christmas this week.  I am only going to put out my most favorite decorations this year.  Everything else will stay in the boxes and take a rest this year :).

Hope, peace, joy, love to All!

chemgal's picture

chemgal

There's no referral letter yet.  I probably won't be contacted when there is.

carolla's picture

carolla

Oooo - mother-daughter baking spree - what fun!  I bet you've been smiling & humming, and digging up recipes ever since you heard about it seeler! 

chemgal - so that's good that you got to speak to someone at the office.  Now - is there anything you might proactively do to promote the letter - e.g. let the referring office know you'll be in on X day to pick it up & hand deliver, wait at the desk until the appt is established?  Yes - it's waiting around etc. - but you'd perhaps be more satisfied that it is done.  

carolla's picture

carolla

I"m stoking up the fire tonight - it's cold outside & we're expecting snow here!  And here's a big stack of Christmas baking recipes & books ... let's see what's looking tempting for this year's WonderCafe Xmas party - or maybe we should have a cookie exchange  ... 

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I couldn't get a confirmation for a date when it would be ready.  I will be following up though, and will make another appointment if it isn't done this week.  I took look, the letter was from the 6th and I would have gone for the bloodwork on the 7th (with the second abnormal result).  This feels like a long time to get the referral since it was requested.

I've never called an office to see if a referral went out before, in the past I just trusted that it was done.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

As for baking, it sounds like my sister is planning on doing a bunch.  It sounds a bit excessive to me, so I might do one thing or I might just leave it all up to her and do more another year when she's busier.

I'll contribute some cider and mulled wine to the WC baking.  :)

Back to Relationships topics
cafe