Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Room for all part 5

Wondercafe is a busy place.  Kind of like a Union Station....a hub of activity with people coming and going all the time.  I'm a people watcher and love to sit in a place like a train station marvelling at all the different types of people that I see and imagining what their lives are like. 

Wondercafe offers us even more.  Here we get to see and meet all kinds of people but even better yet we are offered glimpses into their lives.  They share life's joys, questions, celebrations, disappointments, worries, ambitions, concerrns and even share in their time of loneliness and grief.  And in this place, where people are busy, and people are coming and going, we do what few people do in the real world.  We stop and listen.  We reach out.  And hopefully we help one another.

In some corners of the room people it may get noisy as people banter back and forth.  In other corners of the room it is much quieter, as people not only listen, but they reflect and carefully choose their responses to the person in crisis.  In some areas of the room we ponder life's big questions.  Other areas of the room are silly and often resemble a party of one type or another.  So many people, so many different lives, all carrying different things in their suitcases, and THIS UNION station offers room for all.

In another thread posters were remembering that there are many here missing loved ones this Christmas.  While many celebrate Christmas with decorations, parties, shopping trips and anticipation of a full house....others are wondering what this Christmas will mean with an empty chair.  Some are looking towards Christmas wondering where they will be, who they will be with or who they might be without.  Some who visit here don't believe in Christma.  So how do you decorate the Union Station?

I am opening the doors wide in this thread.  The room is big, the room is inviting, the room is warm.....there is room for all.  Enter in and bring with you whatever you like....you may add decorations to fill the space, you may offer food to nourish others, you may bring only yourself and tell us how you're doing.  You are welcome here.  I'll be happy to see you and sit for a while.   Please continue to welcome others as they enter in and if I'm not in sight, please tend to their needs.  This is a busy union station of people coming and going.  Let's make sure that everyone is recognized and that their needs are met.  If they are happy, let's share in their joy.  If they are sad, let's offer them an ear, a hug and a caring heart.  If they are lost, let's offer them hope that they'll find their way and perhaps some guidance.  If they are hungry, let's feed them.

There is room for all.

Share this

Comments

seeler's picture

seeler

Crazyheart - what do you mean by 'don't bowl if you are sore'? smiley  I can still walk!  

We're a bunch of tough old seniors.  We've had bowlers who were practically blind and had to ask if they got any pins down.  We've had others lean on their cane or walker as they rolled the ball down the lane.  We've had those who had to be reminded of their turn, of how many balls they rolled, and when it was time to stop and let someone else up. 

I can bowl.   But I might not improve my average.

seeler's picture

seeler

Actually with a pain pill and an hour's rest, I feel better.

seeler's picture

seeler

Birthstone - congrats on the whole Affirming process.  We are at the early stages and I've already found out some things I hadn't thought about before - and our committee has run into some roadblocks to work past.  

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Birthstone.  Today went bad in terms of being a pin cushion, 2 attempts by me, an attempt by a nurse (starting injecting not into the vein - ouch!) and then went to the trustworthy arm.  In terms of the issue I had originally, getting super dizzy though I think I'm pretty much over that.  Slightly at one point today, but by then I had been through a fair bit and it was minor and last a few seconds.  The plan is this is my last week of going twice a week.  Next week it will be once there and once at home (with Chemguy, not by myself).

Seeler, glad to hear you're not sore anymore.  Try to ease up on yourself before getting to that point again though!

Glad to hear about the positive events going on at the churches!

Beloved's picture

Beloved

crazyheart wrote:

Beloved aren't you glad you ae no longer chair of council? lol

Yup! Although there is still lots to do anywhere in the church. I am now Past Chair, so still on the board. We have a Chair but our Vice Chair position is still vacant.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Congratulations to Pingason! Will he be able to secure employment in your area, Pinga?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Beloved, great question.  Not sure yet.  If he does, it will be part-time, but, I am hoping.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Ugh I started to throw myself a bit of a pity party.  Out of all of the things, do you know why?  Bandaids.  They are annoying, but I am supposed to leave them on and today I've got three.  Chemguy will be getting home late because he was working out of town.  I'll feel better once he's home and I booked a massage for tomorrow.  It's been way too long since I've last had one, so I'll think about that instead of bandaids.  Funny how the little things can be so irritating when there's bigger things going on.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Chemgal, it is funny how little things can drive you crazy.

I hope that your health sees improvement with the treatment, that you have a wonderful massage and suitably spoiled when ChemGuy gets home

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Pinga.  Doing the little mental switch helped some, and I'm sure Chemguy will cheer me up which will only take a few episodes of something on Netflix :)

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Paddling day today on a lake flat as a mirroe. 4 of us who are on Bowron Lakes , plus me and my youngest.

He suprised me as he has not been motivated to do anything-but I said he was expected and he got dressed and came.

We took my "small" big boat. She's 22 feet long.

Lovely evening!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

nice!

seeler's picture

seeler

Is that the 'small' big boat you took Seelerman and I (and two others) out in last summer?   It was so pleasant.  

Pinga's picture

Pinga

It is a rainy spring morning, but, I opened the side door and filled the house with fresh air this morning.   This door is off what was the dining room and is now a sitting room and I have decided to get the screen made for the window area this year.  We never used it as we only sat in the dining room on occassion, but now that it is a sitting room, we sit in it a lot more.  Looking forward to more use of the side deck now as well.  Funny how changing one room around can shift usage of the house.

Thinking of redhead, lb , pilgrim's, busymom, sg etc that haven't posted for a while. wondering if folks have been chatting to them on the side

thinking on how people aren't at church, and we dont' follow up on those missing, and wondering if we do the same in room for all.

maybe it is time to just say hi

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Good morning, Pinga.

It is a beautiful sunny morn here in Manitoba . . coolish at 5C, but that will change a bit as the morn goes on.  Your rain will clean everything up and bring out nice flowers smiley.

Sounds like a beautiful room - and good to hear that you enjoy it.  Sometimes we ask the question "why didn't we do this a long time ago?"  But sometimes money, time, and other commitments prevent us from doing things we would like to see in our lives.  We added a sunroom (3 season - but here it needs a heater in spring and fall) to our house a few years ago.  We have a small house, and so this gave us a nice "sitting room" type space.  We enjoy it to the fullest, as you enjoy your sitting room.

Thinking of many in our lives who come and go - sometimes they return, sometimes they are just gone.  Thinking of those from Wondercafe who were here when I started - many have gone.  But those you mention, Pinga, do seem to pop in occasionally.

Thinking about my friend who is leaving soon.  Her sweety retired on the weeknd and so they are "done work".  Once they sell their home, they will relocate to their retirement home away from.  I will miss her.  I don't think I've really accepted that it is happening.  And I'm sure when she is gone I will go through a mourning process.

Hope everyone has a day that holds something that gives you hope, peace, joy, and love.

seeler's picture

seeler

I seen lb and pilgrim on facebook - and play Scrabble with lb, redbaron, northwind, crazyheart and GordW.   I hope that they will all come back when we start up our new WonderCafe2.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Yes, i miss them.

I think some have found facebook to be ok, but, I don't get into good dialogue with them as we once did, it is more surface and I don't think it would evolve the relationship that we have....just my thoughts.

seeler's picture

seeler

I agree.  Not the good, back-and-forth discussion.  And not the bearing of the soul that I have sometimes done on WonderCafe.  For one thing we post on Facebook wth or real names and, while I haven't taken any precautions to hide the fact that I am Seeler, I don't think too many people in my neighbourhood or bowling league, or even my congregation are apt to follow my posts.  Not so with FaceBook.  Too many of my casual acquaintences, and friends of friends pop up - welcome for casual conversation but not where I would pour my heart out.  So I do facebook for Scrabble and to keep in touch, but I come to the WonderCafe for community.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

I agree. FaceBook is not Wondercafe and I don't think it ever will be. I play a few games with the folk seeler mentioned, keep up with Pilgrim's exciting life and glance at the United Church group. They all seem unhappy on the group except when Pingaposts something.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Today is not going well.  I think I need medication today.  Chemguy is working out of town again.  It hurts to swallow.  Saw a doctor, I need to talk to the nurse at the clinic though.  No visible swelling so it's not an emergency.

The massage I booked was at a new location, much closer to home.  It was denied due to my health conditions until I get a letter from a doctor saying it's ok.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

lol, re my posts on the united church site, thanks CrazyHeart.  

BethanyK's picture

BethanyK

That's too bad since you were looking forward to the massage chemical :(. As to the bandaids, have you looked at the little round ones you can get for warts and bunions etc maybe something smaller like that wouldn't feel as invasive.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Seeler:  I like that " I come to wondercafe for community".  Gosh that says everything.

Chemgal, that so sucks about not getting the massage you were looking forward to, and for being symptomatic again.  Dang.  hope the day goes better.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

It got worse.  I was told to go to the ER.  Never been to the one by my house.  Everyone there was nice, but it's a crappy hospital.  You pass all the staff parking first.  You have to pay ahead of time, which I don't think I've ever experienced at an emergency room before.  There was a lineup for triage.  I asked when to mix up my medication (I bring it with me), they said to wait.  I was put on a bed in a busy area.  They did the IV not with my nice little butterfly needles, but a huge one (their protocal if I needed anything else).  I had blood dripping on my hand from it for a while and I had to do/direct someone to mix up the medication with the stupid thing in my hand.  Things weren't done as anally when I'm doing it to prevent in terms of sterility, letting alcohol dry before puncturing, etc.

I'm lucky to be in an out so quickly, as my airway wasn't affected (I have a letter for the ER, and semi-self treat whiel there).  I won't be able to use that area for a while though, it's going to take time to heal.

Next time I think I would risk doing the IV at home alone and talk to someone on speakerphone.  Worst case, I can't get it and I go to the ER with the stuff already mixed (that's what the letter is based on).

Good news, the medication worked and it didn't turn into an actual emergency.

Bethany, that's an excellent idea for the bandaids.  Especially when I use the spot that they usually use for bloodwork, it gets really irritated whenever I bend my elbow.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Oh, and two pieces of gauze on my hand under a big square of plastic tape for the pressure is worse than bandaids.  Especially when I can feel the big bruise, I should probably stop typing.

Thanks for dealing with my negativity.  I feel like I deserve my pity party today, and have given up with being positive for now.  I think it's reasonable and even healthy to be miserable today.  A better attitude can come tomorrow.

Hilary's picture

Hilary

Wallow if you need to, chemgal.  Just promise you'll check back with us when you're ready to share a smile and a virtual hug.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

hugs are always welcome from the people here

i have 7-layer dip that i made last night, feel free to have some at my pity party

carolla's picture

carolla

oh - difficult day chemgal - but thanks for sharing your dip!  That's very generous!  And here's a hug!  Lots of folks around here have sore throats from allergies, and a flu that's been making the rounds - must be a challenge for you to decide if & when yours is related to your condition.   After a few visits tho. the emerg staff will probably get to know you - and that might make any necessary visits go a little more smoothly. 

Facebook - I really DO NOT LIKE the most recent update - I'm getting all sorts of pics of people I don't know, just because a friend 'liked' them - that bugs me ... and makes me reluctant to 'like' anything because who knows where that's going to get sent!!  Grrrr. 

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks Carolla, I started a post in H&A where I'd appreciate some of your input.

The area of the soreness wasn't typical for an infection, which made this one easier.  It was my tongue, roof of mouth, and throat.  Moreso on one side than another.  I did see a doctor and i told her I was hoping it was just an infection, but really didn't think so!

Fingers crossed I don't end up with measles after being in the ER with that going around.  I think I'm safe, not 100% certain I was able to get the 2nd shot of that or not though when I was a kid.  Chemguy laughed when I told him that when he finally got home today, so at least someone is enjoying my drama.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

ah chemgal-may tomorrow be better for you. Think positive and realize you are in a better spot then you were a year ago. At least with a diagnosis you know the proper treatment-evenif it involves an emergency room. And you were smart enough to be on a leave from school to sort this all out!

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Good morning all!

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Caring thoughts are with those of you who are dealing with health issues. Family issues. Work issues. Church issues.

Life is not for the faint of heart . . . Strength is needed to take each step one at a time, and take one day at a time.

It is always a win if one can look back upon each day and find something pleasant, something good, something noteworthy, something encouraging - even if it is only being thankful that you made it through.

I am thankful that I had many good people in my life yesterday, including all the roomies here. I look forward to the unique goodness I will find in this day.

Hope, Peace, Joy, Love . . .

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Beloved, I had started a post, and it seems you & I are on the same page.

I am sitting in my "recovered" room, with the inside door open, listening to the birds chirping, a sign of spring.  Drinking my coffee, and reflecting on this virtual room, and my friends in the physical world.

One friend said the other day "is this all that we have to look forward to for the next 20 years"". it was followed by an expletive.    Why did she say that.  We had just discussed one friend who I had bumped into who was on oxygen and her lungs had failed.  Then we had discussed another friend who didn't recognize my friends partner on the phone, coudln't place him. There had been concerns raised by others about this friend as her mother had alzheimers early, and some things seem to be going on odd about her.

So, my answer was "yes", it is what we hve to look forward to. Figuring out how to be communit y to each other or living despite it.     

I reflect today upon the things that happen at different times in our lives, as children, women, couples, friends.  Marriages, divorces, babies, miscarriages, illness, hysterectomies, houses, new houses, loss of jobs, menopause, and so on.   Life is full of change...isnt there a tom hanks quote somehwere..."life is a box of chocolates...."

so, as we in this room experience change, and feel the highs and the lows, I am hoping we can continue to support each other.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I'm feeling much better today.  Irritability can be a prodrome, I wonder if that's why I was cranky Tusday evening.  It will probably take me a while to pick up on things for certain, going from being chronically swollen to rarely swollen.

It's going to be nice and warm today.  Hopefully I'll get out and enjoy it for a while.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Shooting at Western Forest Products Mill in Nanaimo. What is happening Do we think we are American?

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Hopefully the 4 will recover CH.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Pinga wrote:

Life is full of change...isnt there a tom hanks quote somehwere..."life is a box of chocolates...."

Forrest Gump - "My momma always said, "Life was like a box of choclates.  You never know what you're gonna get."

I just watched Forrest Gump the other night.  This quote reminded me of the chocolates (I think they were called Black Magic??) that had a woman on the front who was wearing long white gloves and holding the same box of chocolates.  I remember thinking that it was one of those never-ending things - the box she was holding had her on it holding a box of chocolates, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I also remember that there were some chocolates I didn't like very much - the coffee flavored centers and some of the other creams.

Life is like that - you never know what each day is going to bring til you live through it.  And sometimes you like some of the things that happen, and some times you don't.  You just want to take that piece of life and spit it out into the garbage can cheeky.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Yes, you do, don't you. Beloved.  Great image....

I arrived at work today with a lovely latte and placed it on my desk, then said hello to someone, put my laptop down and watched my bag knock over my latte and the lid popped off....all in about a nano-second.

Latte was everywhere, dripping off my desk, on the divider of our cubes, 

I have good coworker who jumped up to get papertowels, and we laughed about how good it was that I got my expenses done yesterday as the expenses were all lying where the coffee spilled.

Sometimes, I think it is how we approach those yucky ones.  Is it an adventure? Is it ok to say "hey, that isn't for me" and spit it out.

can we look at the positive parts?

so, today, I celebrate cleaning off my desk before i spilled my coffee and good friends who laughed with me.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

sad for the shooting in naimo and the 2 killed.

Pleased with the weather-and wore a dress and sandals today.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I sat outside and read a book for a while.  Then I noticed the pink on my arm so came inside.  For once, it looks the redness is going to fade instead of getting worse.  I think the sun helped some of the irritation from the bandaids.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Aaah, that is good news chemgal.   Glad you were able to enjoy some sunshine.

seeler's picture

seeler

Sunshine here today too.  A cool breeze in the morning, but warming up nicely.  After my volunteering at the church, we had a quick lunch, picked up two friends and went to a nursing home where we met with a few others, and a caller, and entertained the residents with an hour of square dancing.  They clapped, or tapped.  For the finale, the caller asked residents and staff to join our circle and had them participate in a few routines - a pleasant break from their usual day.

The drive up to the nursing home was nice - about 50 klm out of town.  We went up one route and down another, following a little river.  It was good to see that, while the water is high, it is dropping below flood level and the ice has mainly moved out.  Still a lot of snow in the woods, but we hope it will melt gradually.  

Church council meeting this evening.

carolla's picture

carolla

Hey seeler - watch out next week - the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists is holding their national conference in your city!  

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

So many posts have piled up while I wasn't looking!  I'm pretty tired so will just say HI to everybody and make this short.

I spotted chemgal's woords about those nasty band aid things.  My skin reacts to them with redness after a short time and blisters after a day.  May I recommend Hypafix (available a tthe drugstore here).  It comes as a roll 5 cms x 10 metres, and is  in a box. I carry a few pieces cut from the roll in my purse for emergencies - including those times when I get a blood test done at the hospital. It has a paper backing and it doesn't leave a sticky residue when you take it off. I have used it directly over a small injury but usually put a bit of gauze or something on te wound first.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Kay, does it stay stuck pretty well?  With the repeated pokes, I gotta keep them fiarly protected, especially my hands.  I don't react horribly bad as long as they aren't the fabric bandaids.  My inner elbows are pretty sensitive though, I had a patch of eczema before this starte so even if it doesn't seal things off as well it might be worth it for them.

Today has gone really well.  I've been nearly pain free, Chemguy and I went for a walk that I didn't have to cut short like the last few times I've tried and we went out for bubble tea.  It's still quite warm out.  This is also the first time I feel pretty relaxed the night before an appointment.  I didn't even really have specific fears that last few times, as they were going better but I just felt anxious and had weird dreams.  Hopefully I'll have a good sleep tonight!

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

It stays stuck on me - I've used it to wrap afingerthat got in the way of the onionchopping knife!  It is quite thin and allows some air through so my skin doesn't getsoggy.  Oh yeah - it also has a bit of stretchiness to it.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Chemgal, Raising a toast to more good days.....and less bad days...or that the bad days are less severe.

re bandages. I am allergic to the white sticky glue on surgical bandages as well. I'm good for a short-time on fingers, but, can't use it for long on sensitive skin...Ugly situation after a c-section alerted me to it.  It's all good, but they added it to my hospital chart the first time, so raises a concern every time I check in. I always say, it's ok for short-term stuff.

OT's in her fair city?  That is a cause for concern....wonder if any of our wonderful OT's are going

seeler, what a gift you gave that group of seniors.   Something to look forward to, something to enjoy including music that would trigger memories, and something to talk about for the days to come.   Unless you are close with shut-in seniors, you may easily forget how long the days are...when doctors appointments and nurses visits are something to look forward to.

so good to hear of tabitha's excursions, and to hear Hilary's upbeat and see her smile on this thread as well.

Lots going on as people flit in & out of this room.  It is good to take a break and catch up

seeler's picture

seeler

Mockingbird hill

Redwing

MapleSugar

During a break our caller sang Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line", inviting everybody to join in.  

It's been a long time since I heard those tunes,  

Chemgal - I hope that you soon get your injections under control and that they become 'old hat' to you, as your health returns to some sembalance of normal.  You are much too young to have to cope with all this stuff.  

Carolla - are you coming to NB for OT convention?   Please call me if you do?  Wondermail me for my phone number, email and address.  Maybe we can meet in person.  Anyone else from the Cafe?   Could we have a Wonder-gathering?

Two or more gathered together ...?

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Thanks!  Today it went well.  Chemguy did everything just to be comfortable, it took 2 pokes today.  He had the vein with the first one, but lost it when getting it in fully for the infusion.  I think we've started to figure out how I need to position my hand to get some of the trickier spots.  Now I'll be down to once/week for the appointment, and Chemguy can do the other day for me at home.

I ran out of the supplied bandaids, and I've been much happier with some old clear ones I haven't used for quite some time, I'll be stocking up on these again for my hands they are waterproof and stretch slightly, and I'll get the Hypafix too.

Seeler, if I ever go out East, I would love to watch a dance!  Sounds like a fun trip!

What does a large group of OTs look like.  Discussions about how the chairs aren't ergonomic, lots of sensible shoes...?

Hilary's picture

Hilary

I'm excited to be preparing for a two-day trip to Canmore.  I got Friday afternoon off so that I can hit the road with three friends (and meet about eight more coming from other cities) for a ladies' weekend away!

The only trouble is the WEATHER!  Who ordered so much wet snow in MAY?!  I guess we'll have to console ourselves with lots of board games and wine so that we don't miss hiking and sunshine so much...

Back to Relationships topics