wondercafe2adm's picture

wondercafe2adm

WC: Request for nominations

Now is the time to provide nomininations for moderator, admin and treasurer roles per the council model of WonderCafe2

Nomination Process

To form Council, the community is asked for nominations.  After a suitable nomination period of not less than 5 days, the nominations are closed and Council selects new members from the nominations. For purposes of the initial Council, the three founding administrators shall perform the selection.

http://www.wondercafe.ca/blogs/wondercafe2adm/wondercafe2-council-revise....

Roles can be claified via these links:

Moderator(s): http://www.wondercafe.ca/blogs/wondercafe2adm/moderator

Admin(s): http://www.wondercafe.ca/blogs/wondercafe2adm/administrator

Treasurer: http://www.wondercafe.ca/blogs/wondercafe2adm/treasurer

Nominations will be open until May 24th end of day.

Please perform due diligence .  

• review the role requirements as documented above
  • consider is now the right time for this person to be on council
  • confirm with the person they are willing to stand for nomination

Please submit your nomination, the role and your reasons for nomination privately via a wondermail to this account (wondercafe2adm).  

If you would like to publicly name whom you have nominated, post their account name and the role below.  

This thread is NOT a place for dialogue on the suitability of someone.  

Share this

Comments

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Ok, i'm out for the day.  Dont expect to be able to respond to any queries for rest of day.

Rev. Steven Davis's picture

Rev. Steven Davis

Pinga wrote:

Ok, i'm out for the day.  Dont expect to be able to respond to any queries for rest of day.

But ... but ... but ... What if we have questions? What if there's something we don't understand? What if we get confused? Where shall we go? What shall we do? WHO SHALL WE CONTACT??? How dare you just wander away at a crucial moment like this. As if you had a life beyond Wonder Cafe or something. Where are your priorities? Where is your commitment?  I'm just flummoxed by this sudden feeling of being abandoned that's come over me.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Just think how I feel. Now everyone will be expecting me to answer the questions surprise.

Mendalla

Rev. Steven Davis

I don't expect you to answer my questions, Mendalla. Not that I have questions. Well, a few existential ones, I suppose, but really this is hypothetical, but still troubling. What if there are WC type questions? I mean - you're a nice guy and all with a fine looking avatar, but let's face it, man - you're no Pinga. And then there's chansen. Oh yes. Him. The third member of the admin team. (GULP!) My feeling of dread at Pinga's thoughtless and heartless departure grows exponentially. I should just go to bed, pull the covers over my head and peek out in the morning, hoping Pinga is back and all is well.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Rev. Steven Davis wrote:

Pinga wrote:

But ... but ... but ... What if we have questions? What if there's something we don't understand? What if we get confused? Where shall we go? What shall we do? WHO SHALL WE CONTACT??? How dare you just wander away at a crucial moment like this. As if you had a life beyond Wonder Cafe or something. Where are your priorities? Where is your commitment?  I'm just flummoxed by this sudden feeling of being abandoned that's come over me.

Don't worry Steven, I'm here for you. Go ahead brother, ask your questions.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Yeah, i guess I left myself open on that one.

I was basically saying that it is a beautiful weekend, and so, hoping most people are out & about, and no one is expecting a "nominations are closed, therefore we shoudl know immedatiely what is next" kinda message.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Pinga, the Gong show at it again. lol

Rev. Steven Davis

Pinga wrote:

I was basically saying that it is a beautiful weekend, and so, hoping most people are out & about, and no one is expecting a "nominations are closed, therefore we shoudl know immedatiely what is next" kinda message.

Thank God you're back. I've been worried. Very worried. Don't do this to me again.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Rev. Steven Davis wrote:

Pinga wrote:

Thank God you're back. I've been worried. Very worried. Don't do this to me again.

--- comment deleted by Dcn. Jae ---

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

OK after arriving home from Conference I've put in a nomination-many of us think alike!

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Tabitha wrote:

OK after arriving home from Conference I've put in a nomination-many of us think alike!

um... The nomination period closed on May 24th. Hope you made the cutoff.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

It's okay. We knew this one was coming in and who it was so no worries about the deadline in this case.

Mendalla

chansen's picture

chansen

Dcn. Jae wrote:
Tabitha wrote:

In case you care how to be social and be more liked, this is the sort of pedantic crap you have to stop saying.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

chansen wrote:

Dcn. Jae wrote:
Tabitha wrote:

In case you care how to be social and be more liked, this is the sort of pedantic crap you have to stop saying.

O whaaat? It's true isn't it?

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Mendalla wrote:

It's okay. We knew this one was coming in and who it was so no worries about the deadline in this case.

Mendalla

There was no allowance for exemptions given in the document that we all voted on in good faith. Interesting, this turn of events.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Jae, I am sorry to say this but you are a pain in the butt.

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Dcn. Jae wrote:
Mendalla wrote:

Mendalla

There was no allowance for exemptions given in the document that we all voted on in good faith. Interesting, this turn of events.

To put it a little less discreetly, she was nominating someone who already had multiple nominations so it makes no difference. The name is on the list of nominated names whether she had submitted on time or not.

Mendalla

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Jae, if you re-read the document, you will see it said "after a suitable nomination period of not less than 5 days".

You will find that the best policies give an indication of intent.  

Working procedures, tend to be flexible in order to allow for circumstances.  For example, I had neglected to take into account that many folks were away this past weekend.  I hope we always show grace and breathing room in our processes. 

If there are individuals who are awaiting feedback, I do hope that they send them in.  Even if they are not possible for this time, it will tell the future moderators who may be there for guest threads or other forums.  It is always good to have a bunch of volunteers.

Thanks to everyone for their submissions to date.  I value both those who have nominated, those who have reflected and said "not at this time", and those who have accepted.

The admins are currently reviewing the wonderful suite of nominations.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Pinga,

Pinga wrote:

Jae, if you re-read the document, you will see it said "after a suitable nomination period of not less than 5 days".

So nominations are still open?  

We have more time to not nominate Dcn. Jae than we previously thought  wink and he has more time to try and convince us that he is not hoping to be nominated.

Have we achieved win-win?

Grace and peace to you.

John

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I've never heard of anything that is written in stone, other than maybe the 10 commandments.

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

here's the old drug-addled hippy hisself

See video

i wonder how long it took him to chisel those commandments?

Alex's picture

Alex

crazyheart wrote:

Why are you sorry?

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Alex wrote:

crazyheart wrote:

Why are you sorry?

She's Canadian, isn't she? I thought we were sorry for everything?

Mendalla

chansen's picture

chansen

We are also sorry for apologizing so much.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Maybe this is better.

Jae, you ae a pain in the butt.

gecko46's picture

gecko46

crazyheart wrote:

Maybe this is better.

Jae, you ae a pain in the butt.

LOL!  Maybe it's "tax pain".

Alex's picture

Alex

I am sorry to say this, but perhaps we should have a National Sorry Day.

Today is Australia's National Sorry Day, and I am sorry that Canadians would be less sorry than anyone elese, even if it is only for a day.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Too funny Gecko

A sorry day. In Canada -  that is every day.

Sorry if I am off track.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Nominations closed May 24th, end of day. No matter whose friend came late to the party. 'Nuff said.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Where'd we get that from? Someone steps on my foot and I say sorry. I get short changed at the store and I go to the clerk and say,"Sorry...", I lean over to press the elevator button for my floor that is between the two other floors pressed and I say sorry because I feel bad that someone has to make an extra stop so I can get out....

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I have no problem with flexibility in extending the time. These things needn't be written in stone. But if Jae had been the one to put in a late nomination would the reaction be the same? I think it might not be but I don't want to start an argument. So, no need to answer out loud. Just something to think about.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Yes, Jae would have been considered, as would anyone else.  I do not appreciate the innuendo.  If you didn't want it responded to, then don't post it.  If you have an issue name it.

As indicated, life is full of adjustments and flexibilities.

I remind everyone of Chemgal's thread looking for volunteers.   

Rev. Steven Davis

Speaking on behalf of all Canadians I'm sorry that we say "I'm sorry" so much. Of course I have no mandate to speak on behalf of all Canadians, so I'm sorry that I said "I'm sorry" on behalf of all Canadians.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I am sorry that you are sorry that you say sorry so much, and that you feel the need to express that sorrow in this thread. Then again, I am sorry for naming that you are off-topic because I truly wouldnt' want you to feel unsupported or undervalued.  Sorry. 

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

What innuendo? I was honestly not making any innuendo, Pinga. I think jae made a point insofar as wondering when the rules will be bent and when they won't be, and what to expect. I don't think you were being unfair to the latecomers. I think it was reasonable. But I was asking an honest question of anyone reading, and I'm serious. I asked for it not to be answered out loud because I really don't want to argue about it. Okay?

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Kimmio,

Kimmio wrote:

I have no problem with flexibility in extending the time. These things needn't be written in stone. 

No they needn't and yet, this time they were.

wondercafe2adm wrote:

Nominations will be open until May 24th end of the day.

On principle Tabitha could submit a nomination.  It should not be considered as it failed to meet the expressed deadline.

Mendalla's comments indicate that there was some discussion with Tabitha and Mendalla at the very least granted Tabitha an extension.

That doesn't necessarily establish a precedent it does suggest that with conversation Mendalla at the very least is willing to be gracious with deadlines.

Kimmio wrote:

But if Jae had been the one to put in a late nomination would the reaction be the same?

If Dcn. Jae had approached Mendalla and asked for an extension on the deadline because of a similar reason to Tabitha's reason for needing an extention do we think that Mendalla would have said no?

If Pinga granted Tabitha an extension for reason X do we think that Pinga would not grant an extension to Dcn. Jae for reason X?

If Chansen granted Tabitha and extension for reason X do we think that Chansen would not grant an extension to Dcn. Jae for reason X?

I'm not privy to any discussion with Tabitha regarding an extension nor have I heard that Dcn. Jae had a discussion with Mendalla, Pinga or Chansen that was identical to Tabitha's save for the outcome.  Is anyone?

Another factor which colours the discussion is Mendalla's revelation that Tabitha's nomination is identical to at least one other nomination.  It isn't like we are going to chose that individual to fill more than one position.

It does reflect the possibility that all nominees were not contacted by all of their nominators.  Since nominations don't tally in the same way votes do who cares how many nominations any one individual gets?

Grace and peace to you.

John

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I don't really care about late nominations, really. I sent in a few before the 24th and there's one I didn't hear back from and so if she's not on the list, c'est la vie. It's not imperative. Maybe if a deadline is being extended for someone due to extenuating circumstances it should be handled via private correspondence and the rest of us don't need to know about it. Then there is none of this.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Pinga,

Pinga wrote:

I've never heard of anything that is written in stone, other than maybe the 10 commandments.

Ever been to a cemetery?  wink

But I digress.

The issue is less about what is written in stone than it is about what has been communicated.

wondercafe2adm wrote:

Is not written in stone per se.  It is as clear as, if not clearer than many things written in stone.  It communicates to me that as soon as we are dating things May 25th or later we have passed the expiry date for nominations.

Procedurally if either Mendalla, Chansen or yourself had been in discussion with anyone about an extension it would have been appropriate to open that extension to everyone.

If only for the optics.

In a climate where distrust has already been expressed and repeatedly demonstrated the only way to mitigate against further complaint is to do what you say you are going to do.

In this case the line I quote above is taken from the OP and it is not at all vague.  The end of May 24th is not sometime on May 26th.

I am quite confident that as Mendalla has explained the course of events that Tabitha's late nomination (not the same as a late vote being cast) does not alter the list of individuals being considered for the positions listed.

I am open to seeing the difference between what is stated and what has transpired as a simple inconsistency and trusting Mendalla to report honestly I am not at all concerned that something suspicious has occured.

Others will not be so open and inconsistencies like this one feed into the narrative (be it truth or fiction) that the deck is stacked against certain parties.

Grace and peace to you.

John

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Follow the rules so there's consistency- and if need be make exceptions for extenuating circumstances at your discretion in private would be my suggestion. Like when a student asks for an extension on an exam for a valid reason, the whole class doesn't need to know- that same idea.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Kimmio,

Kimmio wrote:

Maybe if a deadline is being extended for someone due to extenuating circumstances it should be handled via private correspondence and the rest of us don't need to know about it. Then there is none of this.

Well it was private right up until Tabitha shared on the thread that she had submitted her nomination.

Then it feeds into Dcn.Jae's pre-existing suspicion.

On a matter of procedure I think Dcn.Jae is right to point out that the OP gave a deadline for nominations and deadlines are deadlines.

There could have been a general extension without any fuss.  Instead a particular exception was allowed and that behind closed doors.  That alone is enough to feed Dcn.Jaes pre-existing suspicions.

Admittedly he could be more mature in communicating his concern.  The fact that he chooses to be petty and passive about it doesn't mean he is wrong about the stated deadline.

Of course everyone pointing out that he has opted to be something of a jerk while pointing this out feeds into his pre-existing suspicions.

Grace and peace to you.

John

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

revjohn wrote:

Hi Kimmio,

Kimmio wrote:

I have no problem with flexibility in extending the time. These things needn't be written in stone. 

No they needn't and yet, this time they were.

wondercafe2adm wrote:

On principle Tabitha could submit a nomination.  It should not be considered as it failed to meet the expressed deadline.

Mendalla's comments indicate that there was some discussion with Tabitha and Mendalla at the very least granted Tabitha an extension.

That doesn't necessarily establish a precedent it does suggest that with conversation Mendalla at the very least is willing to be gracious with deadlines.

Kimmio wrote:

But if Jae had been the one to put in a late nomination would the reaction be the same?

If Dcn. Jae had approached Mendalla and asked for an extension on the deadline because of a similar reason to Tabitha's reason for needing an extention do we think that Mendalla would have said no?

If Pinga granted Tabitha an extension for reason X do we think that Pinga would not grant an extension to Dcn. Jae for reason X?

If Chansen granted Tabitha and extension for reason X do we think that Chansen would not grant an extension to Dcn. Jae for reason X?

I'm not privy to any discussion with Tabitha regarding an extension nor have I heard that Dcn. Jae had a discussion with Mendalla, Pinga or Chansen that was identical to Tabitha's save for the outcome.  Is anyone?

Another factor which colours the discussion is Mendalla's revelation that Tabitha's nomination is identical to at least one other nomination.  It isn't like we are going to chose that individual to fill more than one position.

It does reflect the possibility that all nominees were not contacted by all of their nominators.  Since nominations don't tally in the same way votes do who cares how many nominations any one individual gets?

Grace and peace to you.

John

No. There was no discussion between us and no extension granted (by me, Pinga may know otherwise). Read my second message. She was nominating someone for whom we had repeated nominations so no problem with the deadline because we had the person on the list already. At most, this just supported having that person nominated in the first place and that person would have been there with or without Tabitha's nomination. I worded my first post poorly so ignore it and take my second as the answer.

Mendalla

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Mendalla,

Mendalla wrote:

No. There was no discussion between us and no extension granted (by me, Pinga may know otherwise). 

That being the case there is nothing to see and I will move on.

Grace and peace to you.

John

Pinga's picture

Pinga

My gosh folks, who hasn't had a teacher or a prof give an extension for a paper, even if the deadline was posted due to extenuating circumstances.  That is no one's business but the submitter and the receiver.

Honestly.  Seriously.

Nominations were stated to be opened until the May 24th.

If we didn't have enough nominations, we can open them up again.....it is a nomination process.  If no suitable candidates, then we would have had to.

I currently am working through a process of interviewing youth for a trip.  We have exceptions being requested, and granted based on the person's circumstances.  That is life.  Police give exceptions for speeding, profs give exceptions to deadlines, and that is no different in the virtual world

The day that we succumb to those who read the fine print, and decide that any exception is an item worthy of nit picking on, is the day you walk into madness

**************************************************************************************************

There was an innuendo.  More than an innuendo, Kimmio.  You insinuate that Jae wouldnt' have gotten equal treatment. 

If you don't want a comment to be responded to, dont' state it.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

revjohn wrote:

Hi Mendalla,

Mendalla wrote:

No. There was no discussion between us and no extension granted (by me, Pinga may know otherwise). 

That being the case there is nothing to see and I will move on.

Grace and peace to you.

John

me too.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Ok everyone. I submitted late. 

It doesn't really matter as several wcers niminated this person. It was suggested I have the "honour" of nominating as I indicated my intention to nominate early.

Due to being away at Conference-church busines-for 5 days-with no computer access-I was not timely.

But no matter as thsi nominee was already nominated by others.

So get your knickers out of their knots and lets get on with WC2

Rev. Steven Davis

Tabitha wrote:

So get your knickers out of their knots and lets get on with WC2

Wisest thing I've seen in a while. Hear, hear Tabitha!

For the sake of all that is holy, people - this is starting to sound like a Presbytery meeting again. Seriously - maybe I'm the only one - but who really cares. I don't care if you took a nomination after the 24th. I don't care if you're still taking nominations today. I don't care if that's an extension of a deadline. I don't care if it's breaking something made in stone - like the 10 Commandments were never broken. It's an online discussion forum, people. It's not going to change the world. Just get on with it. Find the people who would be the best people for these jobs. If their nomination came in a day or too late I seriously doubt that God is going to send floods. These days that only happens when transgendered people win the Eurovision Song Contest.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Here's how I see it:
There are a couple of possibilities with Jae's post about Tabitha's submission making the cut.

1. It was a mildly jerkish comment, but one that nonetheless pointed out an inconsistency.
2. Under the assumption that the admins would be sticklers for the deadline in the OP, it was a comment about actually making the cut.

It was only after Jae was jumped on by three people that he made a comment about 'friends being late to the party', indicating a possible suspiscion of favouritism. For starters, Jae made a valid point. The cut off was supposed to be May 24th and the admins have been sticklers for cutting off deadlines on time so far. Instead of aknowledging his point. Three people were no less jerkish in their response as Jae may have been in his original comment. Chansen made a point about people not liking Jae, Crazyheart called him a pain in the butt, Pinga talked to him like a five year old. Nobody maturely aknowledged the inconsistency when speaking to jae until Rev John pointed it out that the exception was inconsistent with the OP. So, perhaps, if Jae does have certain perceptions they're not coming out of thin air and he's not the only one who could've handled the situation better. Why is it not okay for Jae to be jerkish but it's okay to gang up and be jerkish in response to Jae?

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I don't care about the late nomination either. That's not the point that's come out of this. And it has nothing to do with Tabitha.

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

It's not even a point.  Jae brought up something.  Some people responded.

And that should be that.

Instead of it continuing.

And continuing.

It's not a 'thing'.  It's Jae being Jae, which is a servant of Eris, early student of Satan, apprentice of Pan.

chansen's picture

chansen

Kimmio, Jae habitually plays the idiot for sport. I'm not interested in entertaining him. Crazyheart recognized it and called it. You bit on Jae's complaint, which is all he was probably going for in the first place.

That said, if Jae had submitted late, but before any decisions had been made, that submission would have been considered. If you doubt that, then I can't help you.

Back to Church Life topics
cafe