wondercafe2adm's picture

wondercafe2adm

WC: Request for nominations

Now is the time to provide nomininations for moderator, admin and treasurer roles per the council model of WonderCafe2

Nomination Process

To form Council, the community is asked for nominations.  After a suitable nomination period of not less than 5 days, the nominations are closed and Council selects new members from the nominations. For purposes of the initial Council, the three founding administrators shall perform the selection.

http://www.wondercafe.ca/blogs/wondercafe2adm/wondercafe2-council-revise....

Roles can be claified via these links:

Moderator(s): http://www.wondercafe.ca/blogs/wondercafe2adm/moderator

Admin(s): http://www.wondercafe.ca/blogs/wondercafe2adm/administrator

Treasurer: http://www.wondercafe.ca/blogs/wondercafe2adm/treasurer

Nominations will be open until May 24th end of day.

Please perform due diligence .  

• review the role requirements as documented above
  • consider is now the right time for this person to be on council
  • confirm with the person they are willing to stand for nomination

Please submit your nomination, the role and your reasons for nomination privately via a wondermail to this account (wondercafe2adm).  

If you would like to publicly name whom you have nominated, post their account name and the role below.  

This thread is NOT a place for dialogue on the suitability of someone.  

Share this

Comments

Pinga's picture

Pinga

aaah, c'mon, inannawhimsey

it is too much fun dealing with whining and griping.

it is a nice distraction  from having to deliver anything

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

It's only a thing because two wrongs, or three, or four, don't make a right- and I get a little sick of the attitude that if someone's being perceived as behaving immaturely or whatever it's a perfectly okay adult behaviour to be rude and snarky in response to them. There's hypocrisy there that just gets brushed right over, repeatedly. It's a 'thing' around here like I've not experienced anywhere in my real life for a long time and I don't understand it. Maybe it's not favouritism per say but it's definately a weird phenomenon. I don't think people mean to be mean but they can't see that they're doing it.

gecko46's picture

gecko46

"Much Ado About Nothing...."

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

No it's not gecko. This should be addressed and efforts made to stop doing it.

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

Pinga wrote:

aaah, c'mon, inannawhimsey

it is too much fun dealing with whining and griping.

it is a nice distraction  from having to deliver anything

*giggle*

sorry <--------ooops, Canadian

(my wife actually has 'cured' me of my automatic habit -- I used to say sorry unconsciously)

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

chansen wrote:

Kimmio, Jae habitually plays the idiot for sport. I'm not interested in entertaining him. Crazyheart recognized it and called it. You bit on Jae's complaint, which is all he was probably going for in the first place.

That said, if Jae had submitted late, but before any decisions had been made, that submission would have been considered. If you doubt that, then I can't help you.

That's fine. But Jae was concerned that the deadline rule was broken and instead of taunting him with "if you want to be liked" comments you could have said something to aknowledge the inconsistency with the OP in a mature way and moved on, or ignored it. I don't know why you think being rude or mean to someone will make any of their bad behaviour better. And by being rude or mean you actually do entertain it by setting it up to get worse, more defensive. If you weren't interested in entertaining him I don't think you would have responded the way you did. You know well enough by now that that won't help matters.

chansen's picture

chansen

Kimmio wrote:

It's only a thing because two wrongs, or three, or four, don't make a right- and I get a little sick of the attitude that if someone's being perceived as behaving immaturely or whatever it's a perfectly okay adult behaviour to be rude and snarky in response to them.

Most people here get Jae's game. Many of us are sick of it. You fall for it repeatedly. Jae plays you like a fiddle. He makes some bogus complaint and you take up the torch and run with it, both eyes closed.

Kimmio wrote:

There's hypocrisy there that just gets brushed right over, repeatedly. It's a 'thing' around here like I've not experienced anywhere in my real life for a long time and I don't understand it. Maybe it's not favouritism per say but it's definately a weird phenomenon. I don't think people mean to be mean but they can't see that they're doing it.

If you try to play others, don't expect them to be nice to you. Where Jae does a good job of posting, I make a point of saying so. Where he is shit disturbing for sport, I make a point of saying so. Where I'm not sure, sometimes I hold off or ask.

Jae can be a really great guy, and we get along fine for stretches. If I held stuff like his recent chain letter against him, I wouldn't have thanked him recently in another thread for explaining something on my behalf.

You've been convinced of our favoritism for a long time, and have been eager to jump on board any claim made by anyone. You won't consider the possibility that we refuse to seriously indulge annoying claims that do nothing but distrupt what we're doing. If we were profiting from this, maybe I'd take this stuff more seriously. As I'm not, I get to be more direct. If my being direct isn't acceptable, then cut my pay and teach me a lesson.

chansen's picture

chansen

Kimmio wrote:
No it's not gecko. This should be addressed and efforts made to stop doing it.

If you're talking about Jae's post, I'm in full agreement.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

You hit the shit disturb ball right back, though. Repeatedly. And you know it.

chansen's picture

chansen

Kimmio wrote:
You hit the shit disturb ball right back, though. Repeatedly. And you know it.

I don't sit there and take it. I go after people for being hyperbolic and obtuse. It's probably my math background.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Going after them doesn't seem to help very often, though, does it?It might make you feel better but it doesn't do a damn thing to quell the behaviour you're supposedly going after.

chansen's picture

chansen

Look, this is getting off track. I agree you don't like how I post.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I don't "fall for it". I see pretty clearly what's going on. Half the time Jae makes a sarcastic joke that's kind of inappropriate but kinda funny too, and people treat him like dirt- a huge over reaction. Then he reacts back because he's hurt. Today he did make a valid point. He did. Every other request for votes or whatever has stuck to deadline, and rules were carefully documented for a reason, right? So, he had a point. I don't care that the rule was bent but he did.

seeler's picture

seeler

O for heaven's sake -- I was late thinking of people to nominate.  If people had read my wondermails as soon as they received tham and gotten back to me immediately I would have squeaked in under the wire.  But perhaps no one was checking late on the 24th on a busy weekend when many UCC people would be away at Conference.

As it was two people I approached were not willing at this time.  Another hasn't replied - I think she was away over the weekend.  If any had been willing and able, I would have submitted their names, even if I was 24 or 36 hours late.  Admin could then decide whether to make an exception or not.   Perhaps it might depend upon whether they had enough nominations and had already made their selections.   

If a position is still vacant, I would think it reasonable to consider nomination even at this late date.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Sure it is. That can be politely explained and then move on. And that way both the behaviour in question and the inconsistency with the OP can be handled more decently- but if there is a perception of favoritism or special treatment it only gets affirmed by treating the person who's feeling that way badly as a pack. It's really a problem here and it needn't be.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Kimmio, This is WC2, we are talking about. Not the Canadian or American elections that what we say or think might change the world.

If you and  jae respond on a thread called "Does Jesus wear boxers or briefs", believe me, it is not going to change the world

Posters should not have to explain why they have let their name stand, why Mandalla is a good guy, why Chansen calls it like he sees it or Why Pinga is not President

of

the Clique.

Jae and Kimmio, if you think you would like to  be part of the clique, use the pass word and you can be a member too.

As a Canadian, I am sorry.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Crazyheart. That's not funny. And it's not very nice. I stick up for Jae because he's overall really not a bad guy. No worse than any of us. This isn't about a clique. I don't want to start a clique or be part of one. This is about how we all treat each other. It seems to me that if Jae slips up it's an unwritten rule that everyone's allowed to be mean to Jae. It seems to me that the silent consensus about how Jae is reacted to matters less than the degree of actual offense he committed if one were to stop and think before the lemmings all leap over the fence and react to Jae. He is disproportionately targetted for whatever inappropriate things he says now and then.

chansen's picture

chansen

I'd argue he's proportionately targeted. When he isn't trolling, he's not targeted. When he is trolling, enough of us can spot it and call him on it.

Can we move on now? I'm done talking about Jae. I'm not changing how I post.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Enough of us can spot it and call him on it...you mean like gang up and pulverize him? And you have never 'trolled' for posts you think you'll get a rise out of? C'mon. You are no better than Jae in your trolling behaviour. You do it differently. You have your quirks. He has his. I have mine. CrazyheArt has hers. Pinga has hers, etc. but we are all okay people who could do a better job of treating one another.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I saw a bunch of new posts in this thread and I wondered what information was being given out already.  I should have known.

chansen's picture

chansen

Sorry, chemgal. I'm done.

Besides, the request for nominations has run its course, so it's not as much of a threadjack as it would have been last week.

The point I was originally trying to make was that we don't have to be pedants, and we don't want to be.

Kimmio, if you want to discuss further, take it to PMs.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Thats it for me, too

Pilgrims Progress's picture

Pilgrims Progress

Very entertaining read........... My reactions follow.

1. I agree with Rev Steven -  just get on with it. (That is, when the admin team who is doing the work for the rest of us, find the time to make WC2 happen.)

Now, I'm just a rude Aussie, so I feel free to tell Canadians that being polite isn't manners -like crooking your little finger when you drink tea from a cup, saying "sorry" every second word - but showing respect for those that are prepared and have the expertise (unlike me) to work on our behalf - to provide a platform for a lot of the innane dribble that passes for comment here of late.

2. As regards Jae -  I've observed he brings out the herding instinct, which is common to Canadians. (Must be all those herds you have over there - moose etc)

I notice it, because Aussies, like Americans, are more into being individuals. (Which also has plenty of things wrong with it.)

Jae, until you answer my one question of you, namely, "Why are you willing to play the scapegoat here?" I'll just go on treating what you say as the disruptive insincere dribble it is......

No need to tell me I'm rude, Kimmio - I already know - and compared to all the many real atrocities on this conflicted planet of ours, in the words of Rhett Butler, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"

devil

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Pilgrims' Progress,

Pilgrims Progress wrote:

(Must be all those herds you have over there - moose etc)

Moose are not herd animals.

Grace and peace to you.

John

seeler's picture

seeler

John, I was about to say that  "Moose are no herd animals."  The only time I've ever seen two together is a cow with calves, although I'm sure they meet up during mating season but I hink its for a very short duration.

Rev. Steven Davis's picture

Rev. Steven Davis

Pilgrims Progress wrote:

Now, I'm just a rude Aussie, so I feel free to tell Canadians that being polite isn't manners -like ... saying "sorry" every second word ...

Pilgrims Progress, I believe that the most recent and reputable studies, conducted by a group of drunk statisticians at a bar in downtown Saskatoon, suggest that Canadians say "sorry" only once out of every 5.93 words on average. I'm sorry to contradict you though. Really sorry.

Pilgrims Progress wrote:

2. As regards Jae -  I've observed he brings out the herding instinct, which is common to Canadians. (Must be all those herds you have over there - moose etc)

Did you know that a large number of kangaroos together is called a herd? Or sometimes a mob! You wild and crazy Aussies!

devil

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

*giggle*

literalist canadians...

some say i do a good moose call...larned it in elementary school...or was that a cow?  anyhew, when i did it the first time, everyone in my class laughed...so it was a success

bc ferries tried to hire me for inclement conditions, but i asked too high a price -- CBC has to reboot the Beachcombers...

Rev. Steven Davis

seeler wrote:

John, I was about to say that  "Moose are no herd animals."  The only time I've ever seen two together is a cow with calves, although I'm sure they meet up during mating season but I hink its for a very short duration.

Given that there are large numbers of little moose, seeler, I can almost assure you that unless there are significant numbers of virgin births happening among the moose population (which would surely be a sign of the coming apocalypse) then moose are indeed meeting up during mating season.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Sorry, but I can't break my reputation and continue taking this wonderful thread further off course.

http://www.wondercafe.ca/discussion/relationships/canadians-saying-sorry-1

is the theoretical thread to discuss being sorry in canada

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Pilgrims Progress wrote:

Very entertaining read........... My reactions follow.

1. I agree with Rev Steven -  just get on with it. (That is, when the admin team who is doing the work for the rest of us, find the time to make WC2 happen.)

Now, I'm just a rude Aussie, so I feel free to tell Canadians that being polite isn't manners -like crooking your little finger when you drink tea from a cup, saying "sorry" every second word - but showing respect for those that are prepared and have the expertise (unlike me) to work on our behalf - to provide a platform for a lot of the innane dribble that passes for comment here of late.

I notice it, because Aussies, like Americans, are more into being individuals. (Which also has plenty of things wrong with it.)

Jae, until you answer my one question of you, namely, "Why are you willing to play the scapegoat here?" I'll just go on treating what you say as the disruptive insincere dribble it is......

No need to tell me I'm rude, Kimmio - I already know - and compared to all the many real atrocities on this conflicted planet of ours, in the words of Rhett Butler, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"

devil

It's okay. As long as you're rude in your Aussie way, as you say, and not the herd Canadian way- I don't give a damn either....oh, oops, sorry. There's another thread for this. ;)

Pinga's picture

Pinga

It is hard for an Aussie to be a herd, when there is only one of them

Pinga's picture

Pinga

kinda like a moose

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

or a jar of vegemite

Pinga's picture

Pinga

no one wants vegemite.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

definitely not a herd of jars

gecko46's picture

gecko46

Or cats...

InannaWhimsey's picture

InannaWhimsey

nibbling on marmite...

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

Noone wants to be a moose in a herd of kangaroos carrying cats eating Vegemite and vice versa. That settles it then.

Pilgrims Progress

Wadda ya mean, moose aren't herd animals?

I saw with my own eyes two moose  (Meese?) in the same paddock.

And, by the look on the male moose's mug, he had the aim of starting his own herd......

As for kangaroos, they are known collectively as a mob.

They can't even hop in unison - individuals, every one of them!.......

My last word on moose is down to one of my Scottish Dad's jokes.

(Imagine this told with a thick Scottish accent).

"What di ye call yonder animal?" asked the Scottish tourist.

"Sheesh, it' a moose," replied the Canadian.

"If that's a moose, I dinna want  ta see your rats", said the horrified Scotsman.......

Pilgrims Progress

Pinga wrote:

Sorry, but I can't break my reputation and continue taking this wonderful thread further off course.

http://www.wondercafe.ca/discussion/relationships/canadians-saying-sorry-1

is the theoretical thread to discuss being sorry in canada

Ahem, will someone tell that bloody Pinga to stop directing me to other threads. Otherwise I might be tempted to drown her in a vat of vegemite....wink

Am I the only one who's noticed that she's always flying off to yet another location?

Clearly, the woman is a frustrated air traffic controller....... enlightened

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Pilgrim,

Pilgrims Progress wrote:

I saw with my own eyes two moose  (Meese?)

Moose is the plural of Moose.

Pilgrim's Progress wrote:

And, by the look on the male moose's mug, he had the aim of starting his own herd......

So you saw a couple of Moose, a male and a female together and thought herd.  Moose are big but that isn't how you define a herd.

Once Junior becomes a few cells more than an idea the next look on that male moose's face will be all about how he feels tied down and he really isn't parent material.

Give him a chance to get out of the paddock and he won't look back unless he is afraid she might follow.

Mom will birth one calf.  Sometimes there are twins and rarer still triplets.  I've come across both.  And there is probably a reason why that male moose takes a long walk after he puts the female into a motherly way.

Mother moose are generally not footloose and fancy free.

Now she will be devoted to her calf and never far away right up until that calf is about 11 months old.  Then she disappears one night, looks for a booty call of her own and the cycle starts anew.

I have spent time in the thickest population density of moose on earth and to be honest I rather wish they were herd animals.  They'd be safer that way.

Nothing more unnerving that to find yourself in very close proximity to a tremendous buck who is staring intently your way (Moose are very protective of their turf) and you find that it isn't you browning him off but the other hulking male on the other side of you who thinks that first bull is in his turf.

I'd rather be on one side of two males who think I'm too close than between two males who each think the other is too close.

And while I have never actually seen with my own eyes two bull moose lock horns.  I have heard it and to a degree felt it.  I was not inclined to try and get closer.

Pilgrim's Progress wrote:

As for kangaroos, they are known collectively as a mob.

I imagine a lot of the original inmates, er settlers to Australia, had a familiarity with mobs.

Pilgrims Progress wrote:

"If that's a moose, I dinna want  ta see your rats", said the horrified Scotsman.......

It is a staple joke in Newfoundland.  American tourists love it.

Grace and peace to you.

John

Rev. Steven Davis

Pilgrims Progress wrote:

As for kangaroos ...

Yes. As for kangaroos. Did you know that in centuries past certain aboriginal tribes used stuffed kangaroo scrotums as balls (no pun intended) in order to play a game that closely resembled soccer? True story.

Now, before Pinga tells me that's off topic - I actually expect potential moderators to have at least some knowledge of the potential uses of kangaroo scrotums. To me, it's relevant to the thread. I swear. And I'm sorry.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

lol, actually, i put the other thread into a new thread, as I think it is worthy of its own space and conversation, rather than buried under the car crash this thread became.

enjoying the moose and scrotum stories though....curious where this one will go next

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Rev. Steven Davis,

Rev. Steven Davis wrote:

Now, before Pinga tells me that's off topic - I actually expect potential moderators to have at least some knowledge of the potential uses of kangaroo scrotums. To me, it's relevant to the thread. I swear. 

I think you might be setting your expectations to unrealistically high levels.

Rev. Steven Davis wrote:

And I'm sorry.

Well, knowing is half the battle.

Unless this wasn't meant as an admission of personal failing then I'll have to settle for forgiving you.

Grace and peace to you.

John

Rev. Steven Davis

revjohn wrote:

Hi Rev. Steven Davis,

Rev. Steven Davis wrote:

Now, before Pinga tells me that's off topic - I actually expect potential moderators to have at least some knowledge of the potential uses of kangaroo scrotums. To me, it's relevant to the thread. I swear. 

I think you might be setting your expectations to unrealistically high levels.

Really? I've never moderated an online discussion forum but I just assumed that moderators having knowledge about kangaroo scrotums was a given. Shows you how naive I am about the internet.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Kangara scrotums is covered in wondercafe2 101 - how to be a moderator.  hope that puts your mind at rest.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Rev. Steven Davis,

Rev. Steven Davis wrote:

Really? I've never moderated an online discussion forum but I just assumed that moderators having knowledge about kangaroo scrotums was a given. 

When I was promoted to glory er, made a moderator over at United Online such knowledge was not a requirement.

Even though United Online went belly up shortly afterwards I really don't think that it can be attributed to any glaring deficiencies in our working knowledge and history of the use of Kangaroo scrotums

If the internet had been invented in Australia I could see it possibly being inherent and required knowledge.

In the meantime, as far as Kangaroo scrotums are concerned I'll let you handle them.

Grace and peace to you.

John

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

I get up this sunny morning to Kangaroo scrotums and balls. Ummmmm, this would be a good "show and tell" for my grandson. Would he get kicked out of kindergarten?

I would really be sorry but then so is the Kangaroo - scrotumless.

Rev. Steven Davis

crazyheart wrote:

I get up this sunny morning to Kangaroo scrotums and balls. Ummmmm, this would be a good "show and tell" for my grandson. Would he get kicked out of kindergarten?

I would really be sorry but then so is the Kangaroo - scrotumless.

A scrotumless kangaroo would be a sorry sight. Unless it was a female of course.

Inukshuk's picture

Inukshuk

Since wondercafe2 is a Canadian based site - maybe the moderators should have some knowledge of beaver scrotums - which are often dried, ground into a powder and common in native medicine pouches.

Back to Church Life topics
cafe