somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Secret Santa

Hi folks!

It's that time of year again - time for Secret Santas! Here's how it works: you send, via private message me your name and your address and I will randomly select someone to send you a gift and someone else for you to send something to. In that private message, I also recommend sending in some ideas of things that you are interested in (hobbies, sports teams, etc.). It's not about spending a lot of money. Let's limit the price of the gift to $10 (not including postage). 

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to either post them here or private message me. If you would like to sign up for this, please do so via private message. 

Let's have some fun this Christmas!

Share this

Comments

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

When will we find out who our gift is for? I'm eager to begin the hunt for the right holiday gift.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Deadline for secret santa registration is tomorrow. Any other Santa's helpers out there?

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Somegal, do you have a count. How many have registered

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Here's who I've heard from via Wondermail. If you're name is not on the list, you have until 12PM (ish) tomorrow  (Sunday - pacific time) to sign up.

So far Santa's elves this year include:

Chemgal

Crazyheart

Seeler

Tabitha

Redbaron

Dcn Jae

Mendalla

SG

Hilary

Kimmio

Pinga

Sterton

BethanyK

Mike Paterson

seeler's picture

seeler

Come on people, we need at least one more to so that somegal can throw her name into the pot.  Three more would be better.  Or five.  Or seven.   Don't worry about numbers though.  Just get your name in and join the fun.  This is probably the last year we can do this.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

why do we need one more?  there isn't any reason that somegal can go in.  the gifts dont' have to be paired.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Are we missing anyone who usually participates?

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

What procedure will be used in assigning giftees this year? I'm hoping it's a random one.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

It always has been, Jae

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Ok we have until 3pm Pacific time today to join. Anyone else want in?

and I agree with Pinga. It does not have to be evenly paired-I think last year was the only one where we excahnged with out partner.   

Thanks for doing this somegal

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I don't mind if it isn't random.  I'll leave it up to Somegal to decide how to match us up :)

Pinga's picture

Pinga

yup

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Hi folks!  The list of elves has now been finalized and Bettethered has joined it - as have I.  I will momentarily be writing all of your names on pieces of paper and randomly be assigning you someone to send a gift to. You'll soon have a message in your inbox which will let you know who to send a gift to - and any details they have asked me to pass along to you. If you have any questions, please let me know. Have fun everyone!

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

somegalfromcan wrote:

Hi folks!  The list of elves has now been finalized and Bettethered has joined it - as have I.  I will momentarily be writing all of your names on pieces of paper and randomly be assigning you someone to send a gift to. You'll soon have a message in your inbox which will let you know who to send a gift to - and any details they have asked me to pass along to you. If you have any questions, please let me know. Have fun everyone!

Glad to hear that it's a random process.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Hi folks! I have started sending out messages, but have reached the limit for this hour, so will send the next batch out in a little while.

Mike, could you please send me (via Wondermail) your mailing address? Thanks!

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

All messages have now been sent out - if, for some reason, you haven't heard from me, please let me know!

Here's a couple of fun facts about this years' group of elves. We have participants, this year, from 6 provinces who live in places ranging from tiny towns to the heart of some of this country's biggest cities. According to Google maps, if we were to visit everyone by car, it would take about 84 hours of driving time! Wonder road trip anyone???

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

somegalfromcan wrote:

According to Google maps, if we were to visit everyone by car, it would take about 84 hours of driving time! Wonder road trip anyone???

Yes, but how long using an 8 reindeer-power sleigh?

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Mendalla

redbaron338's picture

redbaron338

This sounds like a job for..... the WonderBus!!!

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Mendalla wrote:

somegalfromcan wrote:

According to Google maps, if we were to visit everyone by car, it would take about 84 hours of driving time! Wonder road trip anyone???

Yes, but how long using an 8 reindeer-power sleigh?

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Mendalla

8? Don't you mean 9? You forgot about Rudolph.

Wolfie's picture

Wolfie

Rudolph doesn't count, he's just a headlamp.... lol

You said it before me Jae .... good catch!

(>-.-)> *Peace* ~ Beyond ~ *Peace* <(-.-<)

Steven A. Breeze

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Where is the WonderBus. Probably the maestro is still out like a light in it, RB?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I need to start a threat for the maestro, crazyheart, unless someone else did.

Just thinking of her current journey and it wouldnt' hurt for her to know that others are thinking of her.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Hmmmm-name received-now to put on my thinking cap for something wonderful and meaningful but doable for under $10   Hmmmmmm

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Tabitha wrote:

Hmmmm-name received-now to put on my thinking cap for something wonderful and meaningful but doable for under $10   Hmmmmmm

This time around I already have some good clues to go on when it comes to the person I'll be giving to. The person is actually one of my favorites here, so I'm looking forward to the shopping and elfing.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

me too, have to get clever.

how long until we ship?

ps....thanks so much somegal for arranging this one.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Pinga - Canada Post says that as long as gifts are mailed by December 11th, they should get there on time.

seeler's picture

seeler

Got a name - and fortunately I remember something this person said in a post some time ago that may help me choose a gift.  Doable / mailable.   But is it priceless?  

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Tab, everyone likes finger puppets. tee hee.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Not so CH YOU liked finger puppets......laugh  think I'll go check favourite colour and favourite candy threads

Hilary's picture

Hilary

Yay!  I'm looking forward to going thread-searching... and then shopping!  If we had the WonderBus, we could all hand-deliver our gifts instead of mailing them!  What fun that would be!

Sterton's picture

Sterton

Do we sign our name when we mail it or is it kept a secret forever?

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

By the time we are sending, I put my real name in return address. But I have received mail with no name. Your choce , I think,Sterton.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

I agree with CH. It's your choice but people will try to figure it out. Even using a relative's address as my return address was noticed as it didn't match the postmark.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Sterton - I always reveal myself in the card, although I suppose my return address and post mark also give me away, given that I am the only one participating from my city.

Sterton's picture

Sterton

Sounds good everyone! :)

seeler's picture

seeler

I've always identified myself, and had my secret Santa reveal himself (herself) to me every time. 

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

I won't put my name on the package I mail. I will put my name on the card or letter I enclose.

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Ideas abound. I think I have narrowed it down......

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

This will be fun!

Hilary's picture

Hilary

I'm going to check out a few local craft shows this weekend... hopefully that will inspire me!

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

I bought one part of my gift this past week... and then I ate it. Ah well, I can get another to send.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

I have an idea for mine, but have no idea whether it actually exists or not - and am not artistic enough to be able to make it, sadly.

BethanyK's picture

BethanyK

I had a great idea for mine but I don't think I can do it in time :( back to the drawing board

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

somegalfromcan wrote:

I have an idea for mine, but have no idea whether it actually exists or not - and am not artistic enough to be able to make it, sadly.

Kindly send me a private email about it. Maybe we can work something out.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Thanks Jae. I actually did some online research late last night, and not only does it turn out that my idea exists, but the price is less than $10 and it looks like there is a place that I can purchase it locally. Yay!

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

good sleuthing somegal. Maybe you have my name......

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Possibly... I'm not telling!   wink

Tabitha's picture

Tabitha

Okay-who ever has somegal's name-She just said she owns no dresses or skirts-might be a hint of what to get herenlightened

seeler's picture

seeler

Tabitha - not saying if I have her name, but if I did, where can I find a dress for $10, and how do I know her size.  Value Village here I come - anything in a one-size-fits-all.

seeler's picture

seeler

I was out shopping today.  Changed my mind about the gift I planned to purchase for Secret Santa.  I think the one I got is better.  Also picked up a gift for the exchange at the bowling party, and a gift for Seelerman. 

Back to Social topics
cafe