a time to tear down and a time to build,

a time to weep and a time to laugh,

a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,

a time to search and a time to give up,

a time to keep and a time to throw away,

a time to tear and a time to mend,

a time to be silent and a time to speak…

-Ecclesiastes 3:1-7

Dear Friends,

WonderCafe.ca was launched by The United Church of Canada on November 7, 2006 to great fanfare. At the time, it was one of the only denominationally supported online discussion forums, and certainly one of the most open-minded. In the seven years of its existence, WonderCafe has hosted an almost innumerable number of conversations on “spiritual topics, moral issues, and life’s big questions;” jokes, games, and light-hearted banter went along with virtual prayers and liturgies. We have shared relationships, developed “real-life” friendships, and built true community. These seven years we have travelled together, accompanying one another in times of joy and celebration, loss and pain.

Yet, since the launch of WonderCafe in 2006, the digital landscape has undergone dramatic change, especially in the use of mobile technologies and widespread popularity of social media. Dedicated discussion forums like Wondercafe are largely being replaced by social media discussions on sites such as Facebook and Twitter. Websites like WonderCafe just aren’t as popular as they once were.

Also, WonderCafe is built on software that, sadly, is nearing the end of its technological lifecycle. (That’s Drupal 6, for you techies.) In the coming year, updates for this software - including critical security patches - will stop being issued, leaving WonderCafe and its users vulnerable to viruses and attacks. Unfortunately, because WonderCafe is a highly customized website, there are significant costs involved in upgrading the software the platform runs on.

Faced with this situation, the United Church has sadly come to the decision that WonderCafe will close at the end of June 2014.

The incredible community of long-term participants on the site will be missed - but we don’t want to lose contact! We invite you to continue to take part in the WonderCafe community in one of these ways:

These social media outlets will continue to share the provocative, out-of-the-ordinary news, issues, and discussions on religion, spirituality, and emerging forms of Christian ministry that you have enjoyed on Wondercafe.ca.

There are also a number of social media sites for news and discussion focussed on The United Church of Canada. We invite you to join us on:

As one of the original “admin” for WonderCafe, I want to share how much I will miss our community here. I will always consider my time spent walking with and alongside the visitors to WonderCafe as a significant time in my life - indeed, it was an honour to join you on this journey. I am very grateful to you all for the contributions, commitment, honesty, grace, and wisdom you shared on this site. WonderCafe truly was created by you and you were the ones who made it as successful as it has been over the years. I am also thankful for all the connections and relationships I personally have made through our time at WonderCafe.

It’s a time of mixed feelings for me. I feel sorrow about the impeding end of WonderCafe.ca - a site I’ve been deeply committed to from the start - but I also understand the technological shortcomings of the current software platform and see the benefits of moving on to an advanced environment that is better able to serve the needs of the users.

WonderCafe microsite admins will receive a separate letter outlining the timeline for the closing of the church microsites and listing a few alternatives you can use to maintain your church’s web presence.

Thanks again, from the bottom of my heart. And please stay connected through one of the sites listed above.

Peace,

Aaron McCarroll Gallegos for WonderCafe

Share this

Comments

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi Kimmio,

Kimmio wrote:

Lol! Facebook blows chunks as a discussion forum.

It does.  How that represents an improvement over WonderCafe.ca is beyond my ability to fathom.  Would like to have the knob who thought that try and explain though possibly he is busy being Mayor of Toronto for the moment.

Kimmio wrote:

Can picture you in robes saying that.

Yeah but am I gesticulating wildly or leaning over the pulpit manner of factly?  Try it both ways to see which is most effective.

To the best of my memory I have not used the phrase, "blow chunks" from the pulpit.

My wife still torments me about making announcements as a student minister when I used the line "belly up to the trough" about a Church dinner.  It was unfortunate that I didn't notice I was painting myself into a corner while trying to be all folksy and charming.

Most recently I let slip how much I hated Jazz while announcing a Jazz Coffeehouse.  Did the congregation ever have a lot of fun at my expense over that.

anyhoo

Kimmio wrote:

Yes, I think we could have been consulted.

It would have been nice.

Grace and peace to you.

John

AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

Hi Folks,

WonderCafe isn't scheduled to go off line until June 2014 - 8 months from now. A decision has been made based on the circumstances, but I am sure your input would be appreciated. Please contact Dan Benson, head of Communications at the General Council Office. Message me if you would like his email address.

Thanks,
Aaron

Beloved's picture

Beloved

I was out of town for a few days . . . came home . . . decided to check out Wondercafe . . . crying!  And find out that it is closing in June.

I'm not angry . . . but I am sad.  Perhaps I will work my way from sadness to anger.

Wondercafe over the years since I've been here has had an impact on my life . . . an impact in a positive way.

If it weren't for Wondercafe, my understanding of others, my faith and where I am at in it, and my love and acceptance for those different from myself, would be back in a place that I would never want it to be.  Wondercafe, and the wonderful posters on it have enabled me to learn, grow, develop, and change in my understanding - about myself, other persons, life, and God. 

I will miss it.

I am going to make the best of it, and enjoy it to the bitter end!

Like others, I'm probably not going to join the Facebook Wondercafe, and I will miss this place immensely.

Hope, peace, joy, love . . .

DKS's picture

DKS

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

Hi Folks,

WonderCafe isn't scheduled to go off line until June 2014 - 8 months from now. A decision has been made based on the circumstances, but I am sure your input would be appreciated. Please contact Dan Benson, head of Communications at the General Council Office. Message me if you would like his email address.

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron, if it is closing down and you announce it seven months earlier, people will vote with their feet. They already are.

AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

Thanks DKS. I'm not proposing a vote. As I said, a decision has already been made, but I think it would be good for those involved in the decision making process to hear from those affected. And yes, that was part of the idea, to give people a chance to "vote with their feet" and figure out where and how we can stay connected in the future.

Thanks,

Aaron

chemgal's picture

chemgal

I appreciated getting far advance notice!  Thanks for that Aaron!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I agree regarding advance notice.

I also appreciate that people will vote with their feet regardless....i am generally for transparency.

stardust's picture

stardust

Crazyheart ( or whoever...?)

I believe you are or you were in touch with GRR i.e. David Keating. I chanced upon an old thread of yours in 2009 in which GRR responded as below. On his website he is fine and healthy  being a cancer survivor for the past 4 years. I wonder if he would be interested in offering anything to further the WC cause down the road. Possibly you could contact him...?.... its just an idea or suggestion.

GRR - quote on the WC  2009 thread by crazyheart

GRR:

I too will add my support for the continued existence of the cafe. I haven't read the Observer article but if its partners they're looking for it seems to me that there are two obvious ones - United Online, a BBS that predates the cafe, and my own Seems Like God.  I will gladly set up a full system to host the cafe should the need arise. (which I hope it doesn't)

This place has proven to be a unique experience of online faith, much as the United Church of Canada itself is a unique expression of inclusive faith. I confess that I was skeptical when the hands off approach to moderation was proposed. I've been in many forums that quickly devolved into nothing more than flame wars so vicious that serious discussion was impossible. And in others where my acerbic comments would be deleted without a moment's hesitation.

That hasn't happened here. Quite the contrary. I hope it shall continue. If not directly with the church then most certainly in partnership elsewhere.

David

WC - 2009 by crazyheart

David's website - his pic. with his mother (looking good)  and his home website.
He's also on Twitter - David Keating

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

revjohn wrote:

Hi Kimmio,

Kimmio wrote:

Lol! Facebook blows chunks as a discussion forum.

It does.  How that represents an improvement over WonderCafe.ca is beyond my ability to fathom.  Would like to have the knob who thought that try and explain though possibly he is busy being Mayor of Toronto for the moment.

Kimmio wrote:

Can picture you in robes saying that.

Yeah but am I gesticulating wildly or leaning over the pulpit manner of factly?  Try it both ways to see which is most effective.

To the best of my memory I have not used the phrase, "blow chunks" from the pulpit.

My wife still torments me about making announcements as a student minister when I used the line "belly up to the trough" about a Church dinner.  It was unfortunate that I didn't notice I was painting myself into a corner while trying to be all folksy and charming.

Most recently I let slip how much I hated Jazz while announcing a Jazz Coffeehouse.  Did the congregation ever have a lot of fun at my expense over that.

anyhoo

Kimmio wrote:

Yes, I think we could have been consulted.

It would have been nice.

Grace and peace to you.

John

Matter of factly. Lol! Definately works better.

waterfall's picture

waterfall

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts everybody. I too will miss it and the community that has gathered here. 

Waterfall, the site doesn't cost too much to run, but the software it is build on is being phased out and that means new updates and security patches will no longer be issued for it, which would leave the site and its members vulnerable. It would be costly to upgrade (something that would need to happen every few years) and it's been decided that that money is better spent on other priorities as we move forward. The site will be archived, hopefully in a form that can be readily accessed for reading. 

I do hope folks here (including me) can continue to stay connected to one another online, on Facebook or Twitter, or one of the platforms that were mentioned. 

I am very thankful for everybody's participation in WonderCafe over the years - it was your interactions, wisdom, and openness that really made WonderCafe happen - and it wouldn't have been as successful as it has been if not for you.

Thanks all.

Aaron, thanks for the reply, but is it possible to be more specific with the dollar amounts?

How much approximately would it cost to upgrade the site? How many years would it be before the next upgrade would be needed if we did upgrade? Once the site has been upgraded how much does it cost to run the site and how many people do that?

I'm asking so we know what the actual costs are that are involved to keep this place going.

Thanks!

seeler's picture

seeler

I'm wondering, when the Wondercafe closes - we won't be able to post any more.  But will we be able go back and find old threads.  Sometimes I like to go back to some of the supportive threads from the past and reread them and feel the comfort or courage they gave me.  Will they simply disappear?  Is there some way I can save some of the threads or posts that were special for me.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

seeler wrote:

I'm wondering, when the Wondercafe closes - we won't be able to post any more.  But will we be able go back and find old threads.  Sometimes I like to go back to some of the supportive threads from the past and reread them and feel the comfort or courage they gave me.  Will they simply disappear?  Is there some way I can save some of the threads or posts that were special for me.

Print them off?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

seeler, having an old operating system running old software is not a good idea.  I would be surprised if it stayed up in its current state, but, I will defer to aaron and others on it.

If the server is hosted anywhere, or if it is a virtual machine, the old software will be an opening for malware to find their way to other software and compromise.  No one wants to be in that position.

somegalfromcan's picture

somegalfromcan

Seeler - my suggestion would be to copy and past the threads that you love into a word document on your computer.

Admin - like others here, I really appreciate the advance notice. It gives us time to both organize and grieve. Thank you for that and for all that you do here.

Pilgrims Progress's picture

Pilgrims Progress

Aaron,

I came across this post  I  wrote when I had been with Wondercafe for a year....

Please feel free to let those who are closing this site know how far-reaching their site was.....

Wondercafe Gratitude

My one year anniversary with Wondercafe happens next week, and to quote an old lady on her death-bed, "I must say, it's all been very interesting".

As some of you know, at the time I joined Wondercafe, I was working through the grief of my husband's death. Living on my own was difficult. Friends and family were wonderful, but naturally they weren't always available.

Whether it was by chance or by the Spirit, I discovered Wondercafe. It was just what I needed. People to "talk" with when I wanted company - and the ability to "walk away" when I needed to be alone. (Looking back, I recall some mornings when the only thing that got me out of bed was the thought, "I wonder what's happening in Canada today?")

First, there were the many technical issues to face. Thank you to all those patient people who wondermailed me on how to quote others in my posts. Thank you, Sharon (admin) who emailed me that the reason I couldn't  see flag as offensive on my own posts was that " I was hardly likely to be offended at what I wrote myself". (Duh, there are times when I'm amazed at my own stupidity!)

As the months rolled by my energy increased, and my spirit grew lighter. One morning, I awoke and looked out across the bay, and knew that I would always feel close to my husband - and that there was no need to be sad to keep him in my memory.

On Wondercafe I was soon bantering with my friend crazyheart about the roofer. Yep, my old pal humour was back in harness!

I have never believed in standing still. In life, One is always moving forward or going backwards. It was time to move forward. Whether you call it the unconscious or the Spirit, have you noticed that there is a force propelling you forward? I choose to believe that the Spirit gives us a gentle nudge from time to time.

First there was that Anais Nin quote from LBmuskoka, "There comes a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom".

Next, I read of Tiger Lily's trip to meet myst and family. Slowly the thought formed, why not visit Canada? In the past year I've learnt so much about your country and it's people - why not go and see for myself?

Then there was the thread I started on "extending your comfort zone". (the Spirit at work again?) Why not undertake the trip on my own to try and increase my confidence? The old enemy fear was soon making it's presence felt. Then Jesouhaite 777 unwittingly came to the rescue, "you must have at least minded the bags while your husband was at the desk?" This made me laugh, surely I wasn't that useless?

So folks, this is just to let you know that I'll be in Toronto the first week-end in July next year. I would love to meet you for coffee or a meal, if it's at all possible. I'll then be going on a trip to eastern Canada - ending up in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Thank you again, possums, for walking this part of life's journey with me. May God smile on you, as He has on me.  

Pilgrims Progress

OMG!

Bugger!

What a mess - er, can some techie "fix" this????

chansen's picture

chansen

The copied post might be displaying upside-down because you're in Australia. Stand on your head, or turn your computer upside-down to compensate. It displays just fine up here in the correct hemisphere.

Pilgrims Progress

M'dear, - if I could  stand on my head at my age, I'd be in the circus..... wink

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Aaron did say the site would be archived. He didn't give any details of how that would actually work out ...

Pinga's picture

Pinga

lol, chansen & PP...thank-you

SG's picture

SG

WARNING: There is a reason why we walk on our feet and not our hands. That reason is God. God, Creator of the Universe, created this planet, created gravity, created us... God knew we, as his creations, would age and that as we age gravity causes things to sag downward. Walking on our hands would smother us under saggy bellies and breasts (manboobs included). This is IMO proof of God. It is, at least, proof of Intelligent Design. Chansen will debate this. He is all for science. So, he can be the one to do the experiment and have naked old folks standing on their heads for his observation. For me and my house, we believe in God.

chansen's picture

chansen

Ahhh....the old "Intelligent Sagging" debate. I thought we put that to bed long ago.

SG's picture

SG

You may have put it to bed. wink

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Intellignet design is an unconscious process ...

For wisdom of such evolution is beyond those that didn't wish to know (esse in tuol 've denial) how this came about for those not of the flesh (AirClean) ... just a bad dream in my experience of life and flesh which he believes just isn't (good means for learning how not to mess up anything in myth)? That'd be like abstract or imaginary, complexly one step beyond simple as you're KISS'd off as without thoughts of physical degree of order! various states beyond unreal?

Things stoics are unable to envision ...

Northwind's picture

Northwind

Exchanges like those between Pilgrim, chansen and SG make my day. We get similar on FB but not this kind. I will miss this.

*walks away wiping tears of laughter and sadness off my face.

chansen's picture

chansen

SG wrote:

SHE LOOKED WAY YOUNGER THAN SEVENTY!

SG's picture

SG

Chansen, I am hearing you sing Hedley's "Don't Talk to Strangers" in my head now.

Rev. Steven Davis's picture

Rev. Steven Davis

chansen wrote:

Ahhh....the old "Intelligent Sagging" debate. I thought we put that to bed long ago.

You sag in bed?

SG's picture

SG

They make little blue pills for that, chansen.

stardust's picture

stardust

seeler

I think the fastest way for me  to save  certain material as a start is to put names in search i.e. seeler. Then find posts I like and copy/paste them, send them to my email.

From there I can do whatever I like with them, post to Word, document ...?....print them etc...?  My puter knowledge is very slim. I learned it myself in sort of an  upside down fashion...lol. I'm slow and topsy turvy, I  waste a lot of time. I wonder if Aaron can archive or save it all, the whole forum? There's so much on it? 

You would be a wonderful candidate to write a book based on findings from the WC. I'd love that. It would be a best seller. I suppose you would need copyright permission but that shouldn't be a problem. I've been asking somebody, anybody to write a book since the WC opened after a few months already. Very interesting material...!!!!

@P.P....Your copied post is fine, no problem!

@SG....Yes, there definitely is a God.....:)

Pilgrims Progress

chansen wrote:

SG wrote:

SHE LOOKED WAY YOUNGER THAN SEVENTY!

I AM WAY YOUNGER THAN SEVENTY. (Well, a little way).....

It was that tongue kiss that did it - for a moment I thought I was still in the plane from Oz, and being upgraded to first class. devil

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

hoot

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

CRAZYHEART says; hoot ...

Now is that not levity, or Levite in the words of a sagging god ... the negative side of the positive synoidal wave in the quantum areas of light right out of the darkness of in-anima'ð hues ... purely in-humane as dropped here as Lucifer Prin.? Such are bedeviling thoughts to gods that choose not to ...

Thats enough to ignite the coal carrier into a watery blast, why they perhaps call the gas from there; blackdamp! Has a sort of morphis*pedia  (etomology, or d' rivation twit) it if you can get into large words ... devil of a thing to the simple Romans (pede prin) and the juda'n that felt entitled to the inspirational intellecti .. without learning Hebrew. That's a vast word they referred to as everything condensed, or rendered down ... came to be known as NERDi ... why we lost it as it went subtle ... below the emotional horizon?

In Christian Circe's often they leave behind the processing portions of sects that are intangible until gotten right into as a dark smear on the page ... them odd words considered alien by those that don't know what they mean ... a sort of subtle understanding of incarnate thoughts in dark form as ascribed to by E B Browning:

• And I smiled to think ...
  • God's greatness flowed ...
  • Around our incompleteness (abstract?) ...
  • Round our restlessness, his rest!

Such unconscienable cognizance would bring a sobre man to his knees in tears of levity ... and cause him to loose his ability to render a myth as aboriginal's pelt it !

Such dark humur in myth causes one to rise to incomprehensible challenge of: "how did this scion come to be?" The satyr-like problem in human scient*ante's was thus born as a duality .. an infinite enigma in a mortal spot? And who's on that damed spot?

When this happen ... twas a beginning of odd things in spatial character ... quite Eire in some projections (perspective) ... and the concept became imbedded with metaphor about the birth of sol' !

SG's picture

SG

PilgrimsProgress making out with chansen or was that chansen making out with PilgrimsProgress? Nevermind, it doesn't matter. I have this image in my head now. And for some reason it also includes chansen chastizing PilgrimsProgress for calling on a deity during it.

chansen's picture

chansen

OK, for the record, the "SEVENTY" crack was not about you.

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Cephen tiye ... six and the undeniable central issue of that humble subtle character ... Ba'th' chi Ba ... the washer woman of sol'!

Pilgrims Progress

WaterBuoy wrote:

CRAZYHEART says; hoot ...

Now is that not levity, or Levite in the words of a sagging god ... 

Listen up, WaterBuoy, them's fightin' words!

In Oz, we defend our mates - so don't refer to my mate Crazyheart as "a sagging god", or else!

Gotta say, I'll miss you WaterBuoy, but, then again, I enjoy doing cryptic crosswords,.....

Pilgrims Progress

Okay, that's enough silliness from me......

Just one last serious comment - Facebook is a good resource in many ways, but somehow it's lacking the banter element that I do enjoy here.......

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

"Listen up, WaterBuoy, them's fightin' words!

In Oz, we defend our mates  ..."

Such is b'n terre like a hole in the ground ... a subtle arguement that isn't serious, but skye built ceries ... was that a sagging god or a Sagan idealism ... like latent, ot hermuenetic Scies ... that cut through to the in sentient soul!

Is the defense mechanism subtle in the real world? Ain't that the pits ... like where the brothers put Joey ... so it comes from lo'regents ... the legend of the fall ...

Come to recall didn't Alice in Wonderland strike up with that Eire ...?

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Seas thro' a waterborn soul? A metaphor to bring a dumbÉ as is to heis knees ...

When the time comes PP we shall see one another clearly moor than ClearAir ... a hazy projection of truth to say least of the lessor man thinking heis greater than all other creation ...

All literary rules tossed to the breazes, or breast of wind ... ru'agh in LGK's mode ... one must cling to the abstract ... that which isn't complete ... in-complete by convention?

God isn't finished yet ...

Pinga's picture

Pinga

you know who i miss, golden rule

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Let me pass hellos from GoldenRule. I was in touch a few weeks ago. His health is stable and he is the same gentle person who left here. I miss him too.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Thank-you Crazy. That is so good to hear. A good person. A gift to have shared a thread with

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

sorry I couldn't pull up the GrassRoots thread from 2009. There were testimonies about WonderCafe that I sent one by one to the Observer. They were not interested. If the Official Magazine of thechurch is not interested, who do we suppose is?

Northwind's picture

Northwind

That's sad CH.

mrs.anteater's picture

mrs.anteater

Crazyheart- that's an idea. Lets all write to the Observer , the Moderator and this other guy. If they get lots of letters/emails- they might just pick up a story...

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Crazy, the Observer is not the church mouthpiece.

Since 1986, The Observer has been independently incorporated, which makes it unique among major North American denominational publications. The magazine sets its own editorial policies and program and is overseen by its own board of directors. While it maintains a healthy relationship with The United Church of Canada, it does not speak as the denomination’s official voice, receiving only about 7 percent of its funding from the United Church’s General Council. Other funding comes from individual subscriptions, newsstand purchases, the Friends of the Observer Fund and government grants. The Observer’s financial and legal independence permits the publication to comment freely on matters within and outside The United Church of Canada.   Says editor Wilson: “In the same way that The United Church of Canada is part of the Canadian identity, an independent Observer is inextricably part of the United Church identity — one of those unique features of the United Church that Canadians admire, whether they’re in the pews or on the sidelines.”

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

I knew that but it still ticked me off, Pinga.

stardust's picture

stardust

(The WC could run without a lot of the extra frills to reduce costs.
Its a state of the art forum when you compare it to some others.)

Two other forums I'm familiar with:

Quote from the link:

Spiritual Forums is an ad-free volunteer-supported web site. That's why we depend on you for your support to keep the web site up and running. Currently our hosting expenses run at about 50 dollars per month. Anything you can give will be appreciated. Please consider donating to support Spiritual Forums!