a time to tear down and a time to build,

a time to weep and a time to laugh,

a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,

a time to search and a time to give up,

a time to keep and a time to throw away,

a time to tear and a time to mend,

a time to be silent and a time to speak…

-Ecclesiastes 3:1-7

Dear Friends,

WonderCafe.ca was launched by The United Church of Canada on November 7, 2006 to great fanfare. At the time, it was one of the only denominationally supported online discussion forums, and certainly one of the most open-minded. In the seven years of its existence, WonderCafe has hosted an almost innumerable number of conversations on “spiritual topics, moral issues, and life’s big questions;” jokes, games, and light-hearted banter went along with virtual prayers and liturgies. We have shared relationships, developed “real-life” friendships, and built true community. These seven years we have travelled together, accompanying one another in times of joy and celebration, loss and pain.

Yet, since the launch of WonderCafe in 2006, the digital landscape has undergone dramatic change, especially in the use of mobile technologies and widespread popularity of social media. Dedicated discussion forums like Wondercafe are largely being replaced by social media discussions on sites such as Facebook and Twitter. Websites like WonderCafe just aren’t as popular as they once were.

Also, WonderCafe is built on software that, sadly, is nearing the end of its technological lifecycle. (That’s Drupal 6, for you techies.) In the coming year, updates for this software - including critical security patches - will stop being issued, leaving WonderCafe and its users vulnerable to viruses and attacks. Unfortunately, because WonderCafe is a highly customized website, there are significant costs involved in upgrading the software the platform runs on.

Faced with this situation, the United Church has sadly come to the decision that WonderCafe will close at the end of June 2014.

The incredible community of long-term participants on the site will be missed - but we don’t want to lose contact! We invite you to continue to take part in the WonderCafe community in one of these ways:

These social media outlets will continue to share the provocative, out-of-the-ordinary news, issues, and discussions on religion, spirituality, and emerging forms of Christian ministry that you have enjoyed on Wondercafe.ca.

There are also a number of social media sites for news and discussion focussed on The United Church of Canada. We invite you to join us on:

As one of the original “admin” for WonderCafe, I want to share how much I will miss our community here. I will always consider my time spent walking with and alongside the visitors to WonderCafe as a significant time in my life - indeed, it was an honour to join you on this journey. I am very grateful to you all for the contributions, commitment, honesty, grace, and wisdom you shared on this site. WonderCafe truly was created by you and you were the ones who made it as successful as it has been over the years. I am also thankful for all the connections and relationships I personally have made through our time at WonderCafe.

It’s a time of mixed feelings for me. I feel sorrow about the impeding end of WonderCafe.ca - a site I’ve been deeply committed to from the start - but I also understand the technological shortcomings of the current software platform and see the benefits of moving on to an advanced environment that is better able to serve the needs of the users.

WonderCafe microsite admins will receive a separate letter outlining the timeline for the closing of the church microsites and listing a few alternatives you can use to maintain your church’s web presence.

Thanks again, from the bottom of my heart. And please stay connected through one of the sites listed above.

Peace,

Aaron McCarroll Gallegos for WonderCafe

Share this

Comments

Northwind's picture

Northwind

As much as I love the people in my congregation, you won't find the same atmosphere there as you do here. Sure, you can ask questions and discuss in some circles. It isn't a discussion venue.

chansen's picture

chansen

paradox3 wrote:

chansen wrote:

Before I'm misinterpreted, let me say again that this site has been great. As a recruitment tool, however, it's probably failed. How many UCCan parents would want their teens browsing the forums?

Chansen, 

As the UCCan parent of two young adults (admittedly not teenagers any longer), nothing would please me more!!!

Are they still active in the church? Any church?

AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

carolla wrote:

@ Aaron - does the main UCC website use Drupal? (I think I recall hearing that it does)

If so, I assume it will also soon require the upgrade?  Any plans in place to reduce those costs or change the CMS system used there?  Curious to know how the corporate body views that site in relation to WonderCafe, in terms of cost containment etc. 

Yes, an upgrade to Drupal 7 is in the works for the main United Church website. I don't think I can speak on how the institution sees that site in relation to WonderCafe. It is the primary site of the organization though, while all the other sites, including WonderCafe, are secondary.

paradox3's picture

paradox3

chansen wrote:

paradox3 wrote:

chansen wrote:

Before I'm misinterpreted, let me say again that this site has been great. As a recruitment tool, however, it's probably failed. How many UCCan parents would want their teens browsing the forums?

Chansen, 

As the UCCan parent of two young adults (admittedly not teenagers any longer), nothing would please me more!!!

One of them attends the UCCan with me from time to time & is interested in Unitarian Universalism.  The other is not active in church life at all.

This is par for the course, if you ask me. I myself left the church as a teenager and returned when I was in my late thirties. This is a more common story than you might think. 

Will have to find myself an atheist to talk to when the site closes, Chansen. cheeky

There are plenty of them around (you don't need to point this out) but I haven't found many who enjoy discussing these matters as much as you do. 

chansen's picture

chansen

paradox3 wrote:

chansen wrote:

paradox3 wrote:

chansen wrote:

Chansen, 

One of them attends the UCCan with me from time to time & is interested in Unitarian Universalism.  The other is not active in church life at all.

Okay, but that's kinda my point. Their visiting a place like WC can hardly make them any less interested in the UCCan or Christianity, so you wouldn't be against their participation because, hey, how much further can they possibly fall away?

paradox3 wrote:

This is par for the course, if you ask me. I myself left the church as a teenager and returned when I was in my late thirties. This is a more common story than you might think. 

Will have to find myself an atheist to talk to when the site closes, Chansen. cheeky

There are plenty of them around (you don't need to point this out) but I haven't found many who enjoy discussing these matters as much as you do. 

Agreed, It's not so hard any more, and getting easier all the time.

paradox3's picture

paradox3

chansen wrote:

Okay, but that's kinda my point. Their visiting a place like WC can hardly make them any less interested in the UCCan or Christianity, so you wouldn't be against their participation because, hey, how much further can they possibly fall away?

Methinks your point is a bit of a moving target. 

I did not say I "wouldn't be against their participation."

I said "nothing would please me more" than to see them interested and participating on wondercafe. Being part of the Facebook generation, they think wondercafe is for old fogeys like their mom. 

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi All,

I have heard back from Dan Benson.

I am not going to reproduce the text of his letter simply because I do not think it would be helpful to attack the position he has taken.

I have replied to his letter and I am not going to reproduce the text of that either simply because I am not clear what is what.

I take some comfort from the fact that Mr. Benson has heard my critique of communicating the closing WonderCafe.ca and agrees that it was not handled well.

I also take comfort in the fact that Mr. Benson has extended an invitation to talk further about a feasible solution.

I personally do not think that I am situated in a position where I could have a discussion on a technical level.  I've reiterated my position and thoughts on some matters that are not technical.  I have also asked if he would be willing for me to pass his e-mail on to somebody far more savvy than I about technical issues.

Mr. Benson reiterated that the decision was primarily a matter of available finances which I do not doubt for a second.  And as I have already said upthread if General Council put the pen in my hand and said what ministry would you cut I could not do so comfortably or easily.

One phrase use by Mr. Benson that might show promise was "next life" and it was used in direct reference to WonderCafe.ca.  I have asked for clarification on what he means by next life because it raised some flags for me.

At any rate some conversation has begun.  Where it goes from here I don't know.

Grace and peace to you.

John

chansen's picture

chansen

I probably shouldn't look to take this baton, given my position on Christianity and the very real possibility that I could cause Mr. Benson, who I have no previous dealings with and who I assume is a reasonable individual, to fly into a murderous rage.

Pinga?

redhead's picture

redhead

Pinga, are you willing and interested in operating and managing a free software site for WC members to to continue chats?

because that is what will be asked of a volunteer driven site.

Who volunteers and who coordinates volunteers needs to be addressed.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi chansen,

chansen wrote:

I probably shouldn't look to take this baton, given my position on Christianity and the very real possibility that I could cause Mr. Benson, who I have no previous dealings with and who I assume is a reasonable individual, to fly into a murderous rage.

smiley  Thank you for so graciously stepping forward to unvolunteer yourself.

While I do not doubt that you have the skill and knowledge that would be necessary for the next steps in this conversation I think strategically we need to walk somewhat softly.

Not that I don't think you have it in you.

chansen wrote:

Pinga?

Discretion being allegedly the better part of valour Pinga was at the top of my list.  If she is willing to carry the ball for that particular discussion I am sure she wouldn't mind consulting with you on the side.

At any rate I did point out that carrying on the conversation here without input from "powers that be" was like operating in the dark so I do not know how Mr. Benson will choose to proceed.

I wanted everyone to know that the letter sent was recieved and responded to in prompt and courteous fashion.

Grace and peace to you.

John

stardust's picture

stardust

Way to go Rev. John...!!!

You've gotten some results.

Carry on.... with thanks from all of us I am sure yes.

SG's picture

SG

This is the content of the email I sent. -------------------------------------------------------Dear Mr. Benson,

I am writing regarding the announcement of the closure of Wondercafe.ca in June.

I am moved to write for numerous reasons.

One of the reasons is that I have been present on Wondercafe since almost its launch. Yet, I am sure that this decision was made knowing that people had great discussions and formed bonds, feeling part of a community. Why else would The United Church of Canada have launched a discussion site in the form of an online community? That aspect of its potential was realized.

You are also aware that as part of the Emerging Spirit initiative, to reach out to those who don’t go to church, it certainly did reach out beyond UCC rolls. The presence of unchurched people, and open discussion, certainly supported those welcoming newcomers or seeking to reach out to people. What better way to learn about Catholics, Baptists, Wiccans, Muslims or atheists than listening to them? Whether those particular people ever enter a UCC or not the experience is beneficial when any Catholic or Baptist does enter our church or anyone’s child or grandchild announces they are an atheist.

General Council saw Wondercafe.ca’s value beyond the Emerging Spirit campaign.

I am unsure if Lenten or Advent resources were bought as they were used online. I am also unsure how often the Moderator’s blog got traffic or a special campaign after a disaster received a donation, yet I am certain it did happen. I am also sure there were many hits to the church website, as I contributed a good many.

I can certainly attest to the role that Wondercafe.ca played as an online ministry as well as the impact it has had on offline ministries.

However, the main reason I write is to speak to the lack of transparency. It would lack transparency for a volunteer treasurer to come into a meeting and say, “The church is closing in 6 months”. One would hope the congregation would be advised of financial needs, even those of a crisis nature, far before that day. Lacking that transparency, it can be interpreted as callous, apathetic, insensitive, etc. It can be perceived as incompetence, manipulation or worse. That it is delivered kindly and gently does not address the lack of transparency.
So, I wish there had been more transparency and more dialogue. I find that I cannot defend my own denomination’s decision, but more so the handling of the decision.

Comprehensive Review is something that I am aware of.  I understand we, as a denomination, are in Comprehensive Review, a place where financially nothing is “off the table”.  Some people do not have that same understanding.

I am glad that I do not have decisions to make regarding the future of ministries. I would never want to be deciding which ministries continue and which ones end. I do believe that it can add insult to injury depending on its handling.

That Wondercafe’s Facebook page was mostly posts inquiring about the Wondercafe.ca site being down, points to the fact that the Facebook page was not as much of a success as Wondercafe.ca itself. One looks to the Twittter feed and sees the same, it almost exclusively refers to posts on Wondercafe.ca. Thus, the suggestion that either are an adequate substitute obviously fails. They are not even a substitution, let alone an adequate one. They are simply free.

I would have hoped that as conversations began on Wondercafe.ca about alternatives that the communication the United Church encouraged was actually engaged in. We know that silence can speak volumes. It is offensive to those inside and outside the denomination.

My hope and prayer would be that communication be now undertaken, even if that communication is something people disagree with or would not like to hear.

Peace,

Northwind's picture

Northwind

Thanks for the update John. I plan to write a letter as well even though yours is a hard act to follow. I think he needs to hear from several of us. I have just been thinking on what I want to say.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Well written SG.

stardust's picture

stardust

SG......WOW......!!!!...LIKE.........yes

Wolfie's picture

Wolfie

Here is the letter I sent to Mr. Benson on 11/08/2013

Greetings Mr. Benson...

You don't know me, we have never met in person.  I am one of the Wonder Cafe Congregation members.  I would like to talk to you about the proposed closure of Wonder Cafe in June of 2014.

The congregation of Wonder Cafe, and that is how many of us view our interaction there.  To us it is  a virtual congregation where people whose backgrounds are as diverse as each individual snowflake. To us it is a virtual place where people with such diverse beliefs and backgrounds are able to come together in peace and harmony with mutual respect for one another.

The forums on Wonder Cafe are virtual true.  But, does that make it any less real to the people that use Wonder Cafe?  I think not.  We have forums that are as diverse in their topics as the people that post there.  It is true that topics can get heated as things are discussed and shared.  But, it is a healthy and needed part of an congregation.  You will never find a congregation where people are in total agreement with everything everyone says or talks about, However, they never cease being a congregation because of it.  Wonder Cafe is just like that. We have a good moments and not so good.  But we are all the more richer for having taken part.

Now, if you have ever been on Wonder Cafe reading the discussions and the social forum, you might think, that there is only a small percentage of members being active.  Well, that is just like any congregation, you have those that are up front and in the fray as it were.  Then you have the other members of the congregation that are interested yet sit back waiting to see what happens and if they are really needed then they make themselves known.

This is the same for Wonder Cafe.  You have regular posters who post quite a bit on the forums.  You have a few people who only post once in a while.  Then you have the rest of the Congregation that is silent.  On the old Bulletin Board Systems we called them "Lurkers".  Now these lurkers are people who are very interested in the forums but are perhaps shy, timid, who are afraid of sounding stupid if they post something that isn't perfect. I use to be one of those lurkers on Wonder Cafe who read the forums and the discussions, but, was too afraid to post anything or reply in a discussion for fear of being jumped on because I am not a bible savvy word slinger. One day I got up my nerve and step into the fray of Wonder Cafe's discussions. It was the add with the two men on the top of the wedding cake.  What I wrote was not eloquent.  It was not perfect.  But, I stepped out of the shadows and engaged the Wonder Cafe Community. Since then, I have posted several times in other peoples threads as well as started some of my own.

But, I think you should at this moment, hear what Wonder Cafe means to me and to many other people of the Wonder Cafe congregation.  Remember, we may be considered as virtual, but we are a real congregation in every sense of the word none the less.  Wonder Cafe to us is more than just a bunch of electronic circuits.  Wonder Cafe is a place where people come searching, questioning their faith or lack there of.  Many people came to Wonder Cafe broken in spirit, hurting, in pain.  They reached out to the Wonder Cafe Congregation, and that congregation reached back.  This gathering of virtual people (Who are real people behind virtual Avatar's and Name's.) have listened to the heart breaking stories shared by those hurting and at their wits end.  They found Love & Comfort from the congregation of Wonder Cafe.  They were in a community that didn't judge them or turn them away in their time of need.  We have shared the joy's and laughter of each other, as well as the pain and sorrow.  We have touched the lives of those we see posting, but more importantly, we have touched the lives of those we call "Lurkers" lives.

To close Wonder Cafe would be a tragic blow.  Wonder Cafe is the only place I have found where it does not matter what your background or religion belief or non-belief is.  Everyone is Welcomed at our table.  Everyone freely shares. Everyone learns from one another.  Some people here on Wonder Cafe find a deeper understanding and relationship with God.  Others find that what they sought when they came was not God, but, that their journey leads them a different way at this time in their lives.  Does this mean they will never journey back to a belief or faith in God.  Answer: No!  We do not know where each persons journey will take them, only that they are on a journey that Wonder Cafe is a part of and should continue to be a part of.

We are told Wonder Cafe is being closed because of software being outdated. We are told that it will be expensive to change from the current software which is customized for Wonder Cafe; to the new version 7.  And that this will have to be updated every few years.  That is understandable.  We do realize that, Many people of Wonder Cafe feel hurt and dismissed out of hand because they were not told about this before any decision was made about closing it permanently.  Just like any other church congregation would feel if they were suddenly told out of the blue that their church was being closed and they were not included in the discussions.

Now, having served on congregational and oversight boards over the years I understand how it is not easy to include everyone, however, I have always believed, and still do, that the people being affected by any decision as important as the one being made about Wonder Cafe should be represented in some way and heard. That is why you are receiving this letter from me.

Who am I?  I am Steven A. Breeze a member of the Wonder Cafe Congregation. (I am known as Wolfie - on Wonder Cafe).  I would like us to be heard.  We, since being informed about the closure in June of 2014, have been talking amongst ourselves with each other, trying to find a solution to the situation, trying to save our "Congregation". Again, remember it may be virtual, but to us who are Wonder Cafe members, it is as real as any other church with doors and pews and a pulpit. Our pulpit is the forums where many people as diverse as snowflakes.  Come together to share, preach, to be preached to.  We welcome all without reserve.  Not only do we welcome them, we allow their voices to be heard in the same respect they hear ours.

Many alternatives to Wonder Cafe have been given.  They are good things of themselves.  However, they are not Wonder Cafe.  They do not have the same security that Wonder Cafe does.  They do not allow people who for reasons of safety and security, use a pseudonym.  We must always be respectful that people don't wish to have their personal information out there where everyone can easily access it.  It is also very important that women feel safe online using the Internet and that they are protected while doing so.  It has been said Facebook is an alternative to Wonder Cafe.  With all due respect, it is not.  Yet again Facebook has changed privacy settings that will make it possible for someone to find you using your real name; and by using your real name be able to access your personal timeline.  That means people will be able to find your personal information.  Facebook unlike Wonder Cafe does not allow pseudonyms. It has been said that Facebook will be an acceptable place to hold the discussions such as we have on Wonder Cafe.  Again, it is not.  Facebook, does not have the capacity for that. Facebook is not an appropriate alternative to Wonder Cafe. Twitter was mentioned I believe as another alternative.  Again Twitter for what it is, works fine, but to hold meaningful discussions such as takes place on Wonder Cafe.  Is not a viable replacement.  There are no forums like Wonder Cafe where transitioning to and from different discussions and forums and back again with easy is a much needed system.

We at Wonder Cafe has discussed, what we could do without on Wonder Cafe, in order to keep it alive and online.  There have been talks about how, people are willing to give up their blogs if it meant Wonder Cafe keep it's doors open.  There has been talk about, since as is my understanding, that Wonder Cafe came into being as a result of donations.  Perhaps a way could be made for the members of the Wonder Cafe Congregation to contribute to keeping the doors open and our congregation alive.  Perhaps a way we can donate towards upgrading Wonder Cafe to the new version 7, and what ever can be raised from the congregation, be covered by perhaps the U.C.C.  It will only need to be upgraded perhaps every 3-4 years which is do able in some way.  It is hard for us of the Wonder Cafe Congregation to effectively give viable solutions since we do not know the exact figures needed to keep the doors open.  Any congregation would be able to see a financial record on this were we a church with a building, well, ours is virtual but to us who attend, it's a real place with real meaning, real love and compassion.  A place where "ALL". Are welcomed and made to feel they are apart, what they have to say is important and those who are hurting have a place they can freely share without reserve.

I am not an eloquent speaker, as I am sure you can tell by my writing style.  I don't always word things perfectly that will be easily understood.  If you only take one thing away with you from this letter... Please let it be this: Wonder Cafe has a congregation made up of diverse and unique individuals who are living examples of what the United Church of Canada represents to the world. Love, Compassion, Humility are essence at the Heart of Wonder Cafe.  Don't toss us aside into the garbage as if we never existed.

(Mr. Dan Benson to date 11/13/2013, hasn't responded in any manner to my e-mail, and in all honesty after 5 days, I doubt any response will come. As a member of the United Church of Canada is my correspondence not important enough to even acknowledge?)

I am glad to hear others have received return correspondence. I hope through them dialogue will continue between Mr. Dan Benson and Wonder Cafe members.

(>-.-)> *Peace* ~ Beyond ~ *Peace* <(-.-<)

Steven A. Breeze

chansen's picture

chansen

Email sent to Mr. Benson. I probably shouldn't post it here.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

You didn't swear, did you chansen?

I am also one of the wondercafers who would not like to see the cafe closed.  As so many have posted on thread and on others, Wondercafe has been a place for me to learn, grow, discuss, question, requestion, rethink, etc.  Sometimes it is through posting or questioning on my own, other times it is just reading what someone else has posted or questioned.

It is my understanding that the decision made to close Wondercafe is from a financial perspective (costly upgrade).  Decisions based on finances are hard - aren't we all experiencing some of that in our own physical congregations or secular groups we belong to?

And in those real life situations, the persons who receive or benefit from a program or event are the ones who don't like to see it cut.  Whereas those who don't participate find it easier to cut something they don't have any emotional ties to it.

I realize that there are thousands of registered members here at Wondercafe, but how many of these are active participators?  It seems that since I have been on Wondercafe that many participators are no longer active, and not many new ones have taken their place - this reminds me again of my own congregation where the pews become emptier year by year and the empty seats are never re-filled.  If my congregation were to have to make a decision to close someday because we would no longer have the finances to keep going, it too would be a sad day.  There would be some that would be sadder than others - those who had more invested emotionally, spiritually, and physically.  I would hate to see my own church close, but I also would know that only a few could not keep it going.

Can the few who are active on Wondercafe keep it going or support a new site?

I don't want Wondercafe to close at all, but sometimes things do come to an end beyond our control.  I can't offer expertise to initiate a new sight but I do offer my encouragement to those who will try.

stardust's picture

stardust

Wolfie.....hold on...its only Rev. John who stated he has received a reply from Mr. Benson.

There is such an abundance of love and caring for people  in your letter that Mr. Benson may be somewhat taken back (surprised?).  He may need time to formulate a proper response if he  does indeed  comprise his own communications.

Your letter speaks of ...."truth...reality...compassion....humility.....  beauty.....love....and a great and wonderful HOPE "...you've covered all the bases. ...enlightened.

Its wonderful to see such  a variety of original responses. I'm totally intimidated now...!

chansen's picture

chansen

Depends on your definition of "swear".

Wolfie's picture

Wolfie

Hi Stardust....

Yes, I know Rev. John received a reply, my comment was that others beyond myself had received a response. And my correspondence which was sent long before anyone else had corresponded with him received an acknowledgment of their correspondence. And receipt of mine wasn't even worth acknowledging or say perhaps a quick letter saying thank you for your correspondence, don't have time to read it fully at the moment but will give it my attention when I am able.  Anything like that would have been great, yet I received nothing. When someone else was responded to promptly and professionally. It tends to make one feel dismissed out of hand as if you aren't worth their time. That is how I felt, I will not apologize for that.  After all, people are constantly reminding me I'm only human after all. laugh

Please understand my mentioning it is not a slight to Rev. John or anyone else who may get a response to their correspondence, as I said, I am glad that there is a dialogue taking place regarding Wonder Cafe. I hope it continues. smiley

I just wanted to share my letter with everyone so they would know how I feel about Wonder Cafe and all of you.

Steven A. Breeze

RAN's picture

RAN

It seems that UCCan baulks at the migration/upgrade cost (currently one-time only), but not at the ongoing costs of operating/administering WC.

Several WC members have shown their willingness and ability to voluntarily work on migration from Drupal to a different platform. Would it be possible and/or helpful to do a member-driven migration to a different platform that continues to be managed and supported as a UCCan ministry?

But perhaps UCCan support depends on using the same Drupal 7 software that will be used and supported for the main UCCan website?

stardust's picture

stardust

Wolfie

I'm so sorry. I hope you may still receive a response, albeit late.

Northwind's picture

Northwind

Wolfie I loved your letter. This is indeed a congregation. I have also liked reading SG's and John's letters. We have some very articulate people in here. I would LOVE to see what you wrote chansen. Would you be willing to share it via PM?

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

Thanks to John, SG, Wolfie and Chansen for your individual letters to Mr Benson at the UC head office.  I have read the three letters posted here, each uniquely reflecting the person who did the writing.   Maybe Chansen will decide to share his words too sometime.  Shared or not I expect they will shine with his special light too. 

You share the hurt you feel when your words aren't even acknowledged Wolfie, and that is an honest and very valid sharing.  Will you accept a consolation hug from me?  (((((Wolfie))))).   

Well done guys!

Wolfie's picture

Wolfie

To Kaythecurler and everyone... *hug accepted*

I know I shouldn't have allowed that I didn't receive an acknowledgment of my letter bother me like it did.  It was just one more in a series of being considered invisible.  At least from my perspective at the time.  As many of you know, I'm bound to a motorized chair to get around.  It was mentioned in another thread that someone who had to spend some time in a wheelchair was treated as if they were invisible and treated as if they were incapable of everyday things like any two legged person walking.  I live with that everyday.  People act like you are not there, they walk into you without looking and blame you as if you had run into them, kind of hard to do when the power is turned off on the chair.

Yes, it is true once you are in a chair, a lot of what other people take for granted isn't possible.  Being in a store some where before anyone else is at a counter and then ignored (invisible) but, a normal standing person walks in and immediately they receive attention or help and are checked out ahead of me even though I was waiting there quite a while.  It tends to wear thin on you after a while to the point where you don't expect to be viewed as a living human being, but just an inanimate object on wheels. So it did rub me the wrong way when my letter wasn't even acknowledged.  Thanks for understanding. And allowing me to share how I felt.

(I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic!)

Steven A. Breeze

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

I am going to write a letter. Have been between stages of grief. Trying to jump over to acceptance before dealing with denial and a bit of anger. Ideally, I'd love for wonder cafe to stay open. If and when this place is closed, I am sure there would be some depression. It hasn't hit me yet because we're several months away.

SG's picture

SG

I have yet to receive a response. I may get one and I may not. Time will tell. I am also aware that Rev. John may be a known entity rather than it being an email from someone never heard of before. It may be decided that someone warrants more response from the church based on position, time as paid accountable minister in the UCC, that they are a "colleague". I know that is how we humans can be or are. Mr. Benson is no more or less human than anyone else. There may come a point responses are form letters. Such is life.

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

I get a chuckle out of Chansen's dealing with his baton ... sometimes a good stir is satisfactory for wakening of  a near dead pool of reason ... amost perfectly illogical?

Like I said in another string ... similar to a camel in estrous ... all that frothing at the mouth can least to a spit in the eye and clearing of thoughts ... does that sound like a Ye Zous thing-heh?

Possibly just another bunch of misunderstood words that are not yet gathered ... eccleclsia? Such odd convolutions when reason departs ...

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

After posting my words yesterday I had another thought.  It could be that replies haven't arrived from Mr Benson  for a legitimate reason - he could be away from work with a cold or something.

SG, I found your words on this topic sobering.  It would definitely bother me if only ordained ministers were important enough for a representative of the UC to be polite to!  What message would that send to those who aren't ordained?  To me it would say "You are of less value".

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Kaythe,

Much of the ordained ministry is like any other profession ... trained to believe themselves as authorities and to act that way. When some small lightbulb turns on in the brain (after much life experience) a rare few will come to the conclusion "bi god those people out-there have some information too".

Such is fractal theory and how the infinite care and intellect is splashed about ... like spilt milque or camel slobber ... asephe donkies, camels are not sterile and pure ... only tough mules try not to know until the bitter end ...

Walter Brennen said thse things would be followed day after day to learn of myrrh thy turnover ... here and there a real gemstone is found rye ... what's a bare soul look like ... transparent to a blind man? Rich undertones ... subtle satyr!

Why authorities are useless as "teacher" until they become aware as traditional scholars (Rebbe, Sufi) that learning about everything is a continuum (tamiyr'm) of intellectual effort ... infinite JOB?

Thank god for the 10% or less that give and put into it all they can to learn about alien, or unexpected behaviour that stoics and fixated sorts despise with mortal hatred ... is the  90% in art manna? No they have apostolic nature ... heresy (deviant, or extending) to beat all ends ...

Psychiatrists say that such etude is a dangerous job like biblical myth ... where some read of lying, theft, plundering, rape and murder and think this is the rule ... some know it isn't, yat many of great avarice will try and control god'scattered soul ... bo'ish rule; if you don't know you're innocent or ignorant and thus can't be blamed! How many authorities use this faux pas? Did you know that faux pas literally is like a false exterior ... it too will be gone ... bet on that unseen power!

The greatest of all sins refusing free thought and describing possible errors. Careful, some of what you thought was error may come back at you. This gave roots to the icon Han/naH  a reflective ego/echo-gram in dark structure? Not unlike obsidian as a dark mire-aura ... NOS hyte ...

All contained in this black crap they call literacy ...

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Thank-you, Kay.

I get people are concerned, but I think it is only fair to give time for responses, and also for people to deal with life and work issues.  If no response in 2 weeks, my norm would be to follow through and confirm receipt.

SG's picture

SG

kaythecurler,

You are correct, Mr, Benson may be away or sick or busy.

My words were not meant to infer one is "better" than another. That may be how you read things. It is not how I do or how I intended it.

One email may go into "junk mail" and another not based on domain or known address or a recognized name.

One may be actually known. I would open and answer an email from someone I know before one from a stranger.

One may be easier to compose. It would be simpler for me to write a sensitive email to a family member, friend,coworker… than someone I do not know. I would have to consider how they would hear things  (meaning, “tone”, motivation, etc.)

One may be more comfortable. I am more comfortable in conversation with someone I know or work with than a stranger.

One may be safer. I know I would feel much safer and much prefer to engage some than a StephenBooth.

One may offer more to a reader. Some are emotional, visual, logical, etc. We are not all touched by the same things.

One may offer something not known. If I laid people off, I would expect people to be displeased, upset, emotional, let down… I may not respond to each one. I may respond to the one that asked, Did you know your folks are now looking to start up their own business?”

One may offer more that is conversational. The email may contain something that informs me in ways I was unaware. I tend to lean more towards things I can speak to do more than 'yes", "yes"....

One may hit me where I live.  I may be someone who is looking at it from a money angle, but if you mention dogs you have my attention. The same can be true of people regarding mention of automobiles, children, the marginalized, the poor…. And yes, “ministry” and “polity” can be among those words.

One may identify someone as a listener rather than a speaker.

The list is endless.

That is what it is for me.

That may be or may not be what it is for Mr. Benson.

That you would jump to the conclusion that it s acould only be about ordained versus laity speaks more about you and your experiences.

redhead's picture

redhead

Has it occurred to others that this decision is cost driven, and that a bunch of people responsible for making this decision sat around a table, in a boardroom, and said, people can stay in touch through FB and Twitter, both are free... and we can cut costs by closing WC.  Not only costs aroud software, but also the human/employment  costs of admin, management, maintenance, etc.

This decision is based on costs.  And no one who has authority re: operating this site is going to re-think or extend the operating life of WC. 

I even suspect that one of the arguments would be: If you want to experience connections with like minded people, step away from the computer, go to your neighbourhood UCCan location,  engage face to face with others, and BTW, start donating regularly. 

Obvious pros and cons in the scenario I have presented, but I am pretty sure it is accurate.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

I didn't 'jump to a conclusion', SG.  I merely pointed out a possible conclusion that may be drawn eventually. I apologise if my words were unclear.

stardust's picture

stardust

Wolfie

Sorry you're having such a rough time. I wonder if sales people's assumption is  you're sitting down....seated...so there's no hurry to serve you?  I hope you will speak up in the future and make them aware that you are seated but you are still  in line?  Its healthy to let off steam in your situation, don't feel bad about it here or elsewhere.

I'm  inclined to agree with SG that Rev. John's name is no doubt familiar in some UC  office circles, hence the quick response from Mr. Benson to him. SG is also a pastor.  I am   assuming  there are  people from the UC  offices  reading on the WC or there has been. You remember when we were able to see the number of lurkers reading on  the board threads  and I do too. I remember during flame wars the numbers were really high perhaps  over 500 lurkers on occasion. Whoever they may have been we don't know.

I also agree with kaythecurler that there is a possibility Mr. Benson hasn't seen your email. Emails do have a way of disappearing on occasion. Its why I'm in favour of snail mail and retaining a copy. You could try again.... print your letter...?...and send it? See if that method brings forth a response?

((((((((((((((((((((Wolfie heart))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

SG's picture

SG

I have received a very nice response from Mr. Benson. One can note that in my email I did not identify my vocation.

I will not post Mr. Benson’s response here.

I will say that he spoke directly to my point regarding the lack of transparency, or appearance of such, and apologized.

That was my main complaint.

I love Wondercafe and have been along for the ride since almost inception.

As a member of the UCC and a minister, I am also aware of grants being cut and positions being eliminated.
The First Nation congregation I minister too has seen their grant cut by 5%. The Living Into Right Relations groups are coming to an end of their 5 year process and it is being allowed to end. I doubt anyone thinks the work is done. They are also losing their trusted and much needed Aboriginal Justice & Right Relations Program coordinator. as the contract ends.

Folks, I love Wondercafe and the people here. Yet, I do not love blindly. I love realistically. In a time when all kinds of ministries are being cut, Wondercafe is not more worthy and knowing the hearts of the folks here I do not think they would think that it is.
I will hope a way to continue is found. I, sadly but honestly, will not hope that the UCC dumps another 20+ thousand into it for that to happen.

chansen's picture

chansen

The email I sent to Mr. Benson was short, thinking he's more likely to read the short ones first, and you can be assured that only some of you would say that I was swearing in the body of the email. Still, he has replied, and I back to him. It's heading in a technical direction, but it's a little early to call it a dialogue.

It's also far more congenial than I'm implying, so stop sweating.

As they are personal emails, I'm not posting them here. I could cc Pinga on them, if they get into the nuts and bolts of the site. If anything gets decided or is to be floated to the community, I'll post it here.

stardust's picture

stardust

P.S. I do recall on the boards that we were told Aaron would give us Mr. Benson's email address?  ( I forget if Aaron told us or another person did.)  If so, perhaps Aaron  had intended to inform Mr. Benson or give him the names of people writing to him from the WC? We are all sensitive regarding email virus, we do not open emails from strange names. However, Mr. Benson's email address is readily available on the UC website meaning anyone may email him.

AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

Yes, I'll be happy to pass on his email address, I just don't want to post it here.

Thanks,
Aaron

chansen's picture

chansen

It's somewhere else on WC. I found it with a quick search.

(In case you want to remove it, Aaron.)

Wolfie's picture

Wolfie

I fully understand all the things mentioned by SG. And I know about all the reasons why and what could happen to an e-mail. As well as why it may never be read.

As I said before, I will say it again.  I am glad and happy that Dialogue about Wonder Cafe has begun and I hope it will continue.

Steven A. Breeze

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

The letter I sent:

Dear Mr. Benson,

I am writing to express my disappointment about the notice to close wondercafe.ca in June 2014. As an active participant there, I share the opinion with several other participants, that it is more than just a website. It has become an online family, and I regret that we weren't consulted and asked for ideas to possibly keep the site open before a decision was made.

Like so many families, we have shared personal moments, and have supported one another through struggles with marriage, social issues, parenting, illness and death. Like any other family, we have experienced times of joy, laughter and tears- and sometimes quarrels. And yet, you can tell even with those who get into heated debate (which includes me sometimes), that there is a sense of friendship and connection with one another. Regularly, I find that these people, most of whom I have never met in person, are in my thoughts and prayers. I have even had the pleasure of meeting some lovely Wonder Cafe members face to face, and I'm grateful. I regret we never had a large "wonder gathering", like the a group of us had talked about, where we could all meet. For many of us, the cost of travel would make that very difficult. Yet, we are never far away when wondercafe is an available meeting place.

My faith journey began seriously in 2011. I was fortunate to find a great local UCCan congregation, and I came across Wonder Cafe around the same time, while looking for more information about United Church of Canada's missions and ministries. What a wonderful place with a fitting name! Although I do now participate in the life of a UCCan congregation- nowhere else have I ever been able to explore my faith questions with several others, so deeply, where the conversation is always open. Nowhere else have I met so many people from so many faith backgrounds and none, gathered informally in one place to really discuss the big questions with such passion and interest. I  greatly value the participation of ordained ministers, whose knowledge and insight has been extraordinarily helpful. Even though their days are busy, they have time to share their thoughts with this online  family, as part of this online family.

The option to use Facebook is not a favourable one for many of us for several reasons; including privacy and online safety concerns, and lack of operational flexibility for having in depth discussions. 

Like others, I appreciate that Wonder Cafe has been an option for reflection, support, study, worship, sharing of creative ideas- and fun- when physically going to church because of illness or disability might not always be possible. Several people have said that wondercafe is a congregation. Indeed, I feel it is too.  If you are open to the possibility of helping us keep wondercafe.ca going, I think I speak in solidarity with several others when I say that we would welcome a discussion about how we can find solutions for the costs and challenges involved.

Thank you for hearing my concerns, Mr. Benson. I look forward to your feedback.

Sincerely,

Hilary's picture

Hilary

I have sent a letter this afternoon, too.  May it open the eyes of those who have the power to help keep our community alive in whatever form that may take.

DanielB.B.'s picture

DanielB.B.

I've just now been catching up on my email, so if I haven't responded to your letter please don't read anything more into my tardiness in replying other than a very long day.

In my email to John I commented that we could have handled the announcement better.  I think Aaron has done a great job of communicating about the situation; he's a staunch supporter and loyal paticipant on WC.

I could have done a better job in articulating the context in which we were making decisions, and in that process sought input from the community here for future possibiities as an opening discussion. For that, I apologize to the community; it was not my intent to offend.

If you've been following the goings-on of the UCCan over the last year or so, you may know that our budget has been severely cut by some millions of dollars per year (donations from congregations), and our staffing was cut by 28 positions in May -- 13 of them in Communications alone. Comm includes the work of WC as well as web services, digital productions, print and graphics, archives, editorial, and a variety of other work. Budgets and staff resources are really really tight.

WonderCafe as Aaron said is built on Drupal -- the same platform we use for a number of other sites.  In building WC, the platform was extensively customized. If that customizing wasn't so extensive, and the upgrade was more akin to upgrading your OS or WORD program, this debate wouldn't be necessary.  But, the extensive customization means the upgrade is beyond our budget. Staff time is also very tight with a much smaller staff.

I'm following with a lot of interest the discussions about the future for this community.  Clearly for some (many?) FB doesn't meet their needs. Are there other options?  John commented to me that he felt the opportunity for 'WonderCafe 2.0' has been missed. Perhaps I'm naive, but I am hopeful that isn't the case.

Dan

Hilary's picture

Hilary

thanks for stopping by, Dan.

Wolfie's picture

Wolfie

Totally agree.  Aaron has done a wonderful job here and has borne up well under our heated barrage regarding the announcement.  I too hope that there is a chance of Wonder Cafe continuing.  How that might be, or in what form, I do not know.  There are many here who have suggestions, ideas, perhaps with continued dialogue and working together something miraculous may take place.

Steven A. Breeze

SG's picture

SG

Thank you, DanielBB. I too hope an opportunity has not been and is not missed. As has been shown, the same work can be done with a much smaller budget. I am hopeful that something can be worked out of this with open communication.

redhead's picture

redhead

Daniel B

Thank you for posting

No, FB will not work as a substitute or alternative to WC.

I suspect you know that.

So the issue is cost: WC being a very customized Drupal system means it is not feasible to continue operating. What is going to happen with other Drupal operated systems used by UCCan?

And how is it that a ministry based organisation first cut back by letting go staff working in communications?  Is that not oxymoronic?

How does that make sense?

Any reply you may make would be welcome by many here.

Alex's picture

Alex

Wolfie wrote:

(Mr. Dan Benson to date 11/13/2013, hasn't responded in any manner to my e-mail, and in all honesty after 5 days, I doubt any response will come. As a member of the United Church of Canada is my correspondence not important enough to even acknowledge?)

It may have to do with time restraints and since your letter is long it may take a little longer to respond. It may have also gotten lost somewhere on some server.  I would wait 8 days or so before sending another copy.  5 days or longer is normal with many of the people  I write.

Plus with my challenges and not having a regualr routine I  sometimes recieve emails, and than get I get distracted and it ends up being a while.  So I always allow for a time period. 

Back to Social topics