a time to tear down and a time to build,

a time to weep and a time to laugh,

a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,

a time to search and a time to give up,

a time to keep and a time to throw away,

a time to tear and a time to mend,

a time to be silent and a time to speak…

-Ecclesiastes 3:1-7

Dear Friends,

WonderCafe.ca was launched by The United Church of Canada on November 7, 2006 to great fanfare. At the time, it was one of the only denominationally supported online discussion forums, and certainly one of the most open-minded. In the seven years of its existence, WonderCafe has hosted an almost innumerable number of conversations on “spiritual topics, moral issues, and life’s big questions;” jokes, games, and light-hearted banter went along with virtual prayers and liturgies. We have shared relationships, developed “real-life” friendships, and built true community. These seven years we have travelled together, accompanying one another in times of joy and celebration, loss and pain.

Yet, since the launch of WonderCafe in 2006, the digital landscape has undergone dramatic change, especially in the use of mobile technologies and widespread popularity of social media. Dedicated discussion forums like Wondercafe are largely being replaced by social media discussions on sites such as Facebook and Twitter. Websites like WonderCafe just aren’t as popular as they once were.

Also, WonderCafe is built on software that, sadly, is nearing the end of its technological lifecycle. (That’s Drupal 6, for you techies.) In the coming year, updates for this software - including critical security patches - will stop being issued, leaving WonderCafe and its users vulnerable to viruses and attacks. Unfortunately, because WonderCafe is a highly customized website, there are significant costs involved in upgrading the software the platform runs on.

Faced with this situation, the United Church has sadly come to the decision that WonderCafe will close at the end of June 2014.

The incredible community of long-term participants on the site will be missed - but we don’t want to lose contact! We invite you to continue to take part in the WonderCafe community in one of these ways:

These social media outlets will continue to share the provocative, out-of-the-ordinary news, issues, and discussions on religion, spirituality, and emerging forms of Christian ministry that you have enjoyed on Wondercafe.ca.

There are also a number of social media sites for news and discussion focussed on The United Church of Canada. We invite you to join us on:

As one of the original “admin” for WonderCafe, I want to share how much I will miss our community here. I will always consider my time spent walking with and alongside the visitors to WonderCafe as a significant time in my life - indeed, it was an honour to join you on this journey. I am very grateful to you all for the contributions, commitment, honesty, grace, and wisdom you shared on this site. WonderCafe truly was created by you and you were the ones who made it as successful as it has been over the years. I am also thankful for all the connections and relationships I personally have made through our time at WonderCafe.

It’s a time of mixed feelings for me. I feel sorrow about the impeding end of WonderCafe.ca - a site I’ve been deeply committed to from the start - but I also understand the technological shortcomings of the current software platform and see the benefits of moving on to an advanced environment that is better able to serve the needs of the users.

WonderCafe microsite admins will receive a separate letter outlining the timeline for the closing of the church microsites and listing a few alternatives you can use to maintain your church’s web presence.

Thanks again, from the bottom of my heart. And please stay connected through one of the sites listed above.

Peace,

Aaron McCarroll Gallegos for WonderCafe

Share this

Comments

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Inukshuk, I have been in communication.    I hope to be able to give a better update by the end of the month.  Chansen, Mendella and I are giving time to see if an alternative to shutdown can be found prior to initiating a new site.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Thank you for all Pinga, Chansen, and Mendella are doing!

waterfall's picture

waterfall

Yes, thankyou!

Arminius's picture

Arminius

Beloved wrote:

Thank you for all Pinga, Chansen, and Mendella are doing!

Yes, they are doing it for all of us. Much appreciated!

Inukshuk's picture

Inukshuk

Thanks Pinga.

A Christian, an Agnostic and an Atheist in discussion with UC General Council about maintaining a room for all.......love it!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Clarification:  I am the conduit to the church.  Chansen, Mendella and I are on tap regarding spinnign up a different site if there isn't an option to stay within the united church umbrella.  

I do wish to agree, though, that absolutely that it says something about "room for all", when we look at the mix of folks on teh site, and who are ready to spin up a site should the decision come back that an alternative within uc umbrella is not doable

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Indeed many thanks and also the lesson that if we don't do it who will and collectively we are god ... dirt, mire space and atoll ... the rym about it!

Remember what ARM said about a "Tolle" ... according to mortal ignorance (innocence) you have to be crazy to got there ... too much to learn in their perspective ... if you know what's going on you'll wish you were out of the present state ... something we learn near the end ... as we pop up elsewhere from the sublime state of ridiculous expectations cultivated 'ere as passing from 'ere' to Eire ... the sad state of what we don't know ... considering the Romans burned all those myths many years ago and such process still goes on ... leaving the dream that there has to be another side ... that one could conjure up as a conjecture to build upon ...

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Pinga wrote:

Clarification:  I am the conduit to the church.  Chansen, Mendella and I are on tap regarding spinnign up a different site if there isn't an option to stay within the united church umbrella.  

Yep. At this point, Pinga gets the pats on the back. We're as much spectators to her work as you are. Once we see where the church goes with this, then our role comes into play.

Pinga wrote:

I do wish to agree, though, that absolutely that it says something about "room for all", when we look at the mix of folks on teh site, and who are ready to spin up a site should the decision come back that an alternative within uc umbrella is not doable

I have commented before that this is a very UU kind of place in that regard. Religious discussion where we non-Christians can be as welcome as the Christians, not to mention a wide spectrum of Christian views.

Mendalla

Pinga's picture

Pinga

No pats on the back. 

This whole site, people doing research regarding options (mendella, chansen), testers, those who share their feeling of loss, those who reach out to support each other, those who consider funding options for when needed, those who share their grief and celebrations...

all of wondercafe is part of the "let's see if there are options"...

chansen's picture

chansen

Inukshuk wrote:

Thanks Pinga.

A Christian, an Agnostic and an Atheist in discussion with UC General Council about maintaining a room for all.......love it!

We really should walk into a bar and see what transpires.

Beloved's picture

Beloved

Like a "wonder bar"?

chansen's picture

chansen

Um....never mind.

Northwind's picture

Northwind

chansen wrote:

Inukshuk wrote:

Thanks Pinga.

We really should walk into a bar and see what transpires.

I suspect trouble would ensue with that crowd! wink (though I'd like to be part of that group for the record)

Arminius's picture

Arminius

A Christian, an atheist, and an agnostic walk into Wonder Bar.

"What'll it be?" asks the bartender.

"I don't believe in spiritual intoxication, so nothing intoxicating for me," says the atheist, "just something stimulating. One espresso, please."

"I'll have something somewhat intoxicating," says the agnostic. "A glass of white wine, please. German Riesling."

"And you?" says the bartender, turning to the Christian.

"What is your most spiritually intoxicating drink," asks the Christian.

"That would be Escorial, 70% alcohol by volume."

The Christian nods, the bartender pours an Escorial for the Christian, and the three toast to a long life for WonderCafe and Wonder Bar.

They all buy three drinks each, because good things come in threes, not only for Christians but also for atheists and agnostics. Then they walk out of Wonder Bar, with a slightly tipsy agnostic and a highly alert atheist supporting a somewhat unsteady Christian.

wink

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Wonder Bar'ð ... isn't that god's attire ... a little ghostly tongue (ess ante youl whetting)that rattles around in your'ead? It is a double edged fabric ... can get ru'agh on either side that gets polity-like ... extreme? A wilderness po' without .. san paper?

We'll right in Inna Tri ... where's it attached to the olé requiem ...

Inukshuk's picture

Inukshuk

@Arminius smiley

The Christian would pay for the drinks.

The agnostic might offer to pay or he might not.

And the atheist? I don't believe I should speak for him.

Arminius's picture

Arminius

Hi Inukshuk:

Good to see another version of the story.smiley

Well, the atheist benefits, but doesn't pay, eh?wink

Mendalla's picture

Mendalla

Isn't more that the atheist and the Christian argue about whether the "spirit" exists at all while the agnostic enjoys his drink and watches the fireworks? cheeky

Mendalla

Arminius's picture

Arminius

A good variation of the theme, Mendalla!smiley

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

Sets us in the back drop a' giggle'n ... in the Shadow of God's attire ...

Unless ... until that apocalyptic event when we arise as a burning thought as the emotion fuses with the intellect in pure mythologica procaess that is beyond mortals ... why some thoughts are etched in stone ... untile they pas ... become san of time ... or just timeless hu'murrs! Newfies hunt eM without thought of the roués!

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Many folks approached the head of communications (Dan Benson) regarding the  wondercafe closing announcement.   We have done a great job of showing alternative models of runnign wondercafe (thanks to mendella/chansen and all who contributed) with a much reduced cost.  This is brilliant; however, does not in any way gurantee funding or continuance.

Like any organization, the spend has to be both reasonable and have merit.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

I recommend folks send an email or letter to the following individuals, if you have not done so previously, (or maybe as a refresher), why retaining a low-cost wondercafe has merit.

Gary Paterson , Moderator    gpaterson@united-church.ca

Nora Saunders, General Secretary   nsaunders@united-church.ca

Mardi Tindal, Past Moderator   mtindal@united-church.ca

(Note: I have included Mardi due to her presence as moderator during the life  of wondecafe)

If you could post here when you have written so that we are aware that you have reached out.   It would be good to have a steady flow of  contact. Each of you will have your own reasons and spin, so I feel there is significant merit in a variety of transmissions.

**editted to fix my momentary lapse of referring to Nora as Nancy (what can I say, i knew Nancy first)

paradox3's picture

paradox3

Pinga, 

If you are hoping for a bit of a letter blitz, it might be an idea to start a new thread. I was just thinking that new threads usually get more views than older ones like this one. 

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Good point.  Will start one tonight.  thanks.

seeler's picture

seeler

Is there a new thread?

Let's support Pinga et al in their attempts to find a way to keep the Cafe open.

Arminius's picture

Arminius

seeler wrote:

Is there a new thread?

Let's support Pinga et al in their attempts to find a way to keep the Cafe open.

Yes!

Back to Social topics