a time to tear down and a time to build,

a time to weep and a time to laugh,

a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,

a time to search and a time to give up,

a time to keep and a time to throw away,

a time to tear and a time to mend,

a time to be silent and a time to speak…

-Ecclesiastes 3:1-7

Dear Friends,

WonderCafe.ca was launched by The United Church of Canada on November 7, 2006 to great fanfare. At the time, it was one of the only denominationally supported online discussion forums, and certainly one of the most open-minded. In the seven years of its existence, WonderCafe has hosted an almost innumerable number of conversations on “spiritual topics, moral issues, and life’s big questions;” jokes, games, and light-hearted banter went along with virtual prayers and liturgies. We have shared relationships, developed “real-life” friendships, and built true community. These seven years we have travelled together, accompanying one another in times of joy and celebration, loss and pain.

Yet, since the launch of WonderCafe in 2006, the digital landscape has undergone dramatic change, especially in the use of mobile technologies and widespread popularity of social media. Dedicated discussion forums like Wondercafe are largely being replaced by social media discussions on sites such as Facebook and Twitter. Websites like WonderCafe just aren’t as popular as they once were.

Also, WonderCafe is built on software that, sadly, is nearing the end of its technological lifecycle. (That’s Drupal 6, for you techies.) In the coming year, updates for this software - including critical security patches - will stop being issued, leaving WonderCafe and its users vulnerable to viruses and attacks. Unfortunately, because WonderCafe is a highly customized website, there are significant costs involved in upgrading the software the platform runs on.

Faced with this situation, the United Church has sadly come to the decision that WonderCafe will close at the end of June 2014.

The incredible community of long-term participants on the site will be missed - but we don’t want to lose contact! We invite you to continue to take part in the WonderCafe community in one of these ways:

These social media outlets will continue to share the provocative, out-of-the-ordinary news, issues, and discussions on religion, spirituality, and emerging forms of Christian ministry that you have enjoyed on Wondercafe.ca.

There are also a number of social media sites for news and discussion focussed on The United Church of Canada. We invite you to join us on:

As one of the original “admin” for WonderCafe, I want to share how much I will miss our community here. I will always consider my time spent walking with and alongside the visitors to WonderCafe as a significant time in my life - indeed, it was an honour to join you on this journey. I am very grateful to you all for the contributions, commitment, honesty, grace, and wisdom you shared on this site. WonderCafe truly was created by you and you were the ones who made it as successful as it has been over the years. I am also thankful for all the connections and relationships I personally have made through our time at WonderCafe.

It’s a time of mixed feelings for me. I feel sorrow about the impeding end of WonderCafe.ca - a site I’ve been deeply committed to from the start - but I also understand the technological shortcomings of the current software platform and see the benefits of moving on to an advanced environment that is better able to serve the needs of the users.

WonderCafe microsite admins will receive a separate letter outlining the timeline for the closing of the church microsites and listing a few alternatives you can use to maintain your church’s web presence.

Thanks again, from the bottom of my heart. And please stay connected through one of the sites listed above.

Peace,

Aaron McCarroll Gallegos for WonderCafe

Share this

Comments

chansen's picture

chansen

Pinga wrote:

Often those are spammers or fake accounts, such as by StephenBooth.

It would be interesting to do a tracert to see how many logged IPs come from Ottawa.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

yup

Alex's picture

Alex

I suspect most of them are robots out to sell things, or plant links to fool google search engine into putting them in a higher placement. or to collect information to con people. or.....  I suspect this is why a highly customised site is so difficult to maintain.  WC has captcha as security on some of it's log in / sign up pages. but it has many customised pages where there is no such security.  

A standardises system as the one PIng has model would be simpler, thus IMO more secure.

stardust's picture

stardust

No charge...?....O.K. but how did so many spammers get access?  It does look as if one party ( SB..?)  invented a lot of the very similiar  user names as you check further along...in the 20's page number  range. I know its impossible to track IP numbers properly. We've had these discussions before. Witch is very well informed on the topic I recall.

When I moderated a small forum I could see everyone's IP numbers. I always  use only the one computer, my own, and yet I myself  had 5 or more IP numbers I could see. Witch said something about them being in groups and the most easily traced is by using Mac.

Oh well... off topic...lets not go there...sorry.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi All,

Please find below the text of my letter sent to Mr. Dan Benson, Head of Communications at the General Council Offices.

Letter to Dan Benson wrote:

Dear Mr. Benson,

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with the announcement that WonderCafe.ca is to close in June of 2014.

I do so for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, while WonderCafe.ca does not represent a congregation or even a missional unit of The United Church of Canada it, at the very least, qualifies as a ministry of The United Church of Canada.  As such dialogue with the members of WonderCafe.ca should have extended further than, time's up.  The unilateral decision to close a ministry is one which rightly draws heavy criticism in the various courts of the church.  This closing is no exception.

While being a member of the order of ministry for 15 years prepares me somewhat for the top down decision making which impacts upon a ministry, there are members of this ministry who do not have that experience and operate under the assumption that the Church, which trumpets justice, would not take such unilateral action without even attempting to be fair about it.

The decision blackens the eye of The United Church of Canada in the sight of the WonderCafe.ca community and as a member of the order of ministry this process is not one that I can rightly defend.  As a matter of fact, I am most critical of the process as it currently stands.

Secondly, the most visible administrator for WonderCafe.ca,  Aaron McGallegos, has shared with us the hope that members of WonderCafe.ca will migrate to the various Facebook pages connected to The United Church of Canada.  This hope, as fond and vain as it may be, betrays a completely ignorant understanding of how WonderCafe.ca works and how Facebook operates.

Facebook discourages anonymous accounts.  WonderCafe.ca doesn't.  One of the stated advantages of WonderCafe.ca was that it allowed individuals the security of anonymity while addressing real and active concerns within congregations.  Many members have already stated that they will not migrate to Facebook sites because of the inability to remain anonymous.  As one of the administrators of the WonderCafe.ca Facebook page I note that traffic tends to pick up when WonderCafe.ca itself is down.  The fact that there is already a choice in place between WonderCafe.ca as it is and a Facebook experience and most prefer WonderCafe.ca over the Facebook experience suggests to me that while Facebook exists as an option it is not one that is preferred.  

Thirdly, the social media fixes for the dissolution of WonderCafe.ca do not work simply because they are not geared to anything approaching deep discussion nor do they allow users ease of navigation among threads or topics that are of interest to them.  At present members of WonderCafe.ca itself are attempting to find an alternative which actually addresses what will be lost with the shut down of WonderCafe.ca in June of 2014 hoping that the vast material produced by all active members and visitors in a seven year period will not simply disappear.

Finally, duplication of WonderCafe.ca is impossible.  Even if every member decided to pick up stakes and move to another site it would not be the same.  WonderCafe.ca became sacred space and for many it represented community.  With no consideration for the members and their needs the doors will shut and that speaks volumes for those on the edge of the Church.

I have been an active member on WonderCafe.ca since it opened doing my best to represent The United Church of Canada to folk who are not affiliated or even interested.  On November 4th, after seven years of participation I was effectively told it means nothing.  That stings.  And while I am quite aware that the decision was not personal I do take it quite personally that everyone else who responded to the invitation is now being told to take a hike.

I apologize that the tone of this e-mail leans toward harsh.  I am convinced that the decision made is profoundly wrong though I understand it is thought to be a necessary fat-cutting exercise and quite frankly I could not, in good conscience suggest which other ministry should be cut to spare this one.  I am offended that nobody thought the membership of WonderCafe.ca was worthy of consideration regarding the future of this ministry.

It is not my intent to berate or blame.

I do wish those responsible for this decision to know how strongly I disagree with it.

May God bless you in your ministry.

Your colleague in ministry,

John Maich

I expect that at most I will get an e-mail saying thanks for the correspondence.  I do not expect one letter to change the decision.

Grace and peace to you.

John

chansen's picture

chansen

Well, you've convinced me, at least.

Well, truthfully, I'd still prefer to see the link between the UCCan and WC be removed and have the community run it. I'd just hate to lose the content.

redhead's picture

redhead

Sincerely, Rev John,

Your letter is profound. 

And I appreciate the logical defense presented therein.

I am sad to say that I do not think your letter will change the fate of WC, but thank you for trying.

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

Thank you John. You have been steady and true to WonderCafe.ca over the years, You have answered questions ( that obviously for some of us weren't being answered in our congregations). And I do thank you. I know that we tell people that the United Church is the grass roots - from the bottom up but when it comes to decisions it is really from the top down.     Very disallusioning.

stardust's picture

stardust

Rev. John

Fantastic letter.....yesenlightened...you're the best. You've put your heart , soul, and lots of your  valuable  time  into ministry on this site. I hope the powers that be will "listen up" and appreciate your service here on the WC and your opinions about the UC  dismissing our internet  community so lightly.

P.S. I prefer sending  snail mail  for such a matter as this. I feel it may not hit the trash, delete, or get lost  quite so fast.

@Redhead

Lots of us are going to write letters to Mr. Dan  Benson. There is a strong possibility he may have second thoughts if we can conjure up something half as good as Rev. John's letter.  We need a variety of fresh interesting facts about what the WC means to us and why it should continue.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi redhead,

redhead wrote:

I am sad to say that I do not think your letter will change the fate of WC, but thank you for trying.

Mine alone certainly won't.

Other letters making it plain what losing WonderCafe.ca means might.

As disturbing as the notification to close is it is still better than trying to log in only to find that the shop is closed and will never re-open.

Grace and peace to you.

John

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi crazyheart,

crazyheart wrote:

I know that we tell people that the United Church is the grass roots - from the bottom up but when it comes to decisions it is really from the top down.     Very disallusioning.

The Church is never either one or the other.  In reality it is quite a bit of both.  That said, one appears to have more authority to trump the other.

If those responsible for this decision came to understand that it was a horrible one that they did not think through fully the decsion could change.

June of 2014 is an arbitrary date.  Why not close up December 31, 2013 and make the accounting easier?  Maybe, just maybe, the advanced notice is given to see if this particular ministry would be fought for?

I don't know that such is the case obviously.

I also do not know that it isn't.

Better to try and fail than to give up and never have a chance to succeed. right?

Grace and peace to you.

John

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi chansen,

chansen wrote:

Well, you've convinced me, at least.

You sir do not understand precisely how valuable your position here is.

By virtue of your atheism (no matter that it is unwavering) represent precisely the target we were looking for when we started this whole campaign.

You simply by sharing what you find best about WonderCafe.ca from your position as an atheist will mean more to the national Church than my thoughts as Clergy.

Grace and peace to you.

John

chansen's picture

chansen

I'd like to see it continue, true. I don't especially want to see it continue in the UCCan's hands. I think their administration of WC.ca has been atrocious. I'd like to see it migrated to a simple forum platform, and be run by anyone but the UCCan.

I think that letter writing will, at best, delay the inevitable. I don't think there is any political will within the UCCan to operate an online community. And even if we find some, it could disappear tomorrow. I think the will to continue exists primarily among ourselves.

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi stardust,

stardust wrote:

Rev. John

Fantastic letter.....yesenlightened...you're the best.

I hope not.  

Last I heard I was the third worst Minister in The United Church of Canada.

It is better for the denomination that I remain closer to the bottom.

At any rate.

stardust wrote:

I hope the powers that be will "listen up" and appreciate your service here on the WC and your opinions about the UC  dismissing our internet  community so lightly.

I'm visible here.  I gather I have an entertaining file.  The former Conference Secretary chuckled about it while refusing to divulge contents.  That could mean that there is entertaining material containe within that is not at all damaging of it could mean that he was something of a sadist and wanted to see if I'd sweat.

I suspect I am virtually invisible outside of Hamilton Conference so don't hope that the pile of wondie awards I have amassed impresses anybody outside of here.

stardust wrote:

P.S. I prefer sending  snail mail  for such a matter as this. I feel it may not hit the trash, delete, or get lost  quite so fast.

I have had many adventures with Canada post.  So many that I am loathe to trust them with anything remotely valuable.

Grace and peace to you.

John

stardust's picture

stardust

Rev. John

Yikes....I'm at a loss for words.....sad....stumped...

revjohn's picture

revjohn

Hi stardust,

stardust wrote:

Rev. John

Yikes....I'm at a loss for words.....sad....stumped...

Not to worry.  I'm reasonably confident that my ranking was in jest and not meant to actually place me higher or lower than any colleague.  I simply ran with it for the laughs at the time.

That time was another forum now defunct that I shared with some who found their way here.  In fact, most of us found our way here, from there.

So it is a bit of an inside joke.  Sorry for that.

As for the rest.  It is a simple fact that what some think of me here probably does not translate to what others will think of me there.

I will be one voice among several and I will get no extra weight for my office or my time spent here.

Which is as it should be actually.

Grace and peace to you.

John

stardust's picture

stardust

All Rightie Rev. John....no problem.

AaronMcGallegos's picture

AaronMcGallegos

Hi, Sorry I've been busy with some other things (Philippines emergency and Comp Review stuff mostly), but I've quickly read the last two pages of posts. RevJohn, thank you for your letter. Yes, your letters could make a difference. I'm not in a position to advocate a letter writing campaign, but just saying, that's the way it works. The more letters, the more attention paid to an issue.

2nd: There's been no more new users applying to WonderCafe than anytime in the past. Basically none of these folks make it into WonderCafe with posting privileges. We screen them out based on the information they give - for example if they say they are from "Alberta, Australia" and give a bogus postal code and have an IP that is from Russia or some other country, we don't let them in. "Trans" is the default gender option, so we get a disproportionate number of that option. We have always gotten a ton of spammers trying to apply, so we've developed overly secure screening. 

3rd: The decision to close WonderCafe is based on the upgrade costs mostly. Not the day-to-day running of the site. Day-to-day costs aren't a lot, but they do add up. It's the bigger cost of upgrading to Drupal 7 that is really the challenge here. It's a little harder to come up with exact numbers on how much it costs to run WonderCafe, especially how that compares with some of the alternatives being floated.

4th: We're not opposed in theory to a volunteer run alternative, but just need to look into it - especially the privacy issues such as folks giving us their emails and real i.d.s in confidence. That's something we have to protect in my opinion. I am passing your threads on and they are being heard.

If you have other questions, please post them here. I may not be able to get to them right away, but I hope to. If not, please send me a WonderMail. 

Thanks!

Aaron

AaronMcGallegos

...5th: If Chansen is converted, the mission of the site is complete and it will close for sure.

JOKING!

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

I appreciate you taking time to communicate with us Aaron - you seem to be in a somewhat difficult spot.

Today I started to wonder - "What drove the original decision to use Drupal for WC, ( a costly system,)  instead of one of the free or economical systems?  From the discussions here it seems a free or cheap system would be about as good.  Had this been done at the start it would have freed up money for other initiatives.

chansen's picture

chansen

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

...5th: If Chansen is converted, the mission of the site is complete and it will close for sure.

JOKING!

After I'm dead, I'm sure the mormons will convert me by proxy. You can stop the servers then.

AaronMcGallegos

Hi Kaythecurler, I have been posting here and on some other threads, as well as on the Facebook threads on the topic. Sorry if it seems like I haven't been replying.

Drupal is a free, open source software and was selected because of it's cost-effectiveness and flexibility. It is also robust enough to handle the large numbers of users here and the mass audience we hoped to connect with. We did build several custom features that would be difficult or impossible to adapt to Drupal 7 (such as WonderMail and the Church Search). The custom features represent the greatest cost to upgrading.

Thanks,
Aaron

chansen's picture

chansen

kaythecurler wrote:

I appreciate you taking time to communicate with us Aaron - you seem to be in a somewhat difficult spot.

Today I started to wonder - "What drove the original decision to use Drupal for WC, ( a costly system,)  instead of one of the free or economical systems?  From the discussions here it seems a free or cheap system would be about as good.  Had this been done at the start it would have freed up money for other initiatives.

Drupal is and has been a good CMS for a long time. If you set out to build a web presense like WC, rather than create a site from the ground up, you can start with a basic Drupal site, and then you customize. Once you customize so much, you can't do a simple upgrade any more. You pretty much have to start from scratch with, say, Drupal 7. A rather stock Drupal 6 site can be upgraded much more easily.

Wolfie's picture

Wolfie

Aaron, do you know if Mr. Benson recieved my e-mail?  I haven't recieved anything saying he has at least got it or read it.  It would be great to know if he has gotten it and at least read it if nothing else.  My e-mail program sents a request of reciept when an e-mail I sent has been recieved,  I haven't gotten one.

(>-.-)> *Peace* ~ Beyond ~ *Peace* <(-.-<)

Steven A. Breeze

AaronMcGallegos

I don't know, but I will check.

Thanks,

Aaron

paradox3's picture

paradox3

Here is one thing that worries me . . .  if we continue this on-line community in some other fashion, won't we become just an exclusive club? A club of folks who used to belong to wondercafe.ca? 

Unless there is advertising to bring in new members, I don't see any point to continuing.

Ironic that even as we are hearing this sad news that wondercafe will be no more, there is an advertisement for the site in the latest Observer. 

Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. 

crazyheart's picture

crazyheart

P3, in this modern age marketting is everything. Ah, whats a mother to do?

Alex's picture

Alex

paradox3 wrote:

Unless there is advertising to bring in new members, I don't see any point to continuing.

I agree. We need to develop a marketing plan.  If we lower costs to 10 to 50 a month for the site, we can than divert our resources into marketing. I am sure the members can come up with interesting proposals, that would generate free press.

IMHO if we fill the need of a niche market on the net, we can than also target ads towards the types of people who would find wondercafe of value.  I do beleiev that WC tried that at first, but after 7 years we can likely target lower cost net ads that are better at targeting an audence that would find WC of value.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

paradox3 wrote:

Here is one thing that worries me . . .  if we continue this on-line community in some other fashion, won't we become just an exclusive club? A club of folks who used to belong to wondercafe.ca? 

I've joined forums because I've stumbled upon them after a google search.

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

Thanks for correcting my understanding of Drupal.  I'm grateful that there are people who 'get' computers - I just use them.  Oh wait - I also ask questions!

stardust's picture

stardust

I'm not able to access pinga's new WC since some hours. Anyone else have problems? Maybe she's working on it? Its 10:24 p.m. Tues. in  Ont.

stardust's picture

stardust

Thanks for the info. Aaron.

Chansen is a closet Christian....I'm running...............................................................................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cool.

@paradox 3

I'm not sure about the process but small forums I've been on made themselves available in google to get new blood. They weren't always very successful They got spammers.

Google search engine is on the WC tracking every thread, automatic or requested?

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Hey folks, not sure what is up with the demo site. It should be good for 5 days. It started having issues last night.  It could be that we overrode some max limit for demo site, or that dang troller guy broke it.  I have dropped a line to support , will advise.

chansen's picture

chansen

paradox3 wrote:

Ironic that even as we are hearing this sad news that wondercafe will be no more, there is an advertisement for the site in the latest Observer. 

Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. 

From a strictly religious perspective, why would they continue to fund the free exchange of ideas about Christianity on the Internet? The Internet is where religions go to die.

Don't believe me? What other denomination provides an area for free comment on matters of faith online, where arguments against religion are not simply deleted? Does anybody know? Seriously - what other Canadian denomination has done something like Wondercafe, where someone like myself wouldn't be banned immediately?

This place is great. I appreciate it immensely that it exists, but it's really not in the best interests of the UCCan to run this place.

Kimmio's picture

Kimmio

paradox3 wrote:

Sigh. Sigh. Sigh. 

A group of Internet friends/ acquaintances. Not opposed to letting new people join in- for sure! But I don't know why we have to 'recruit' people? If we just meet to chat about stuff that we have been meeting to chat about. The big missing piece for some might be "Church Life" though. I don't know if I should br advocating to keep things as is (if that's just going to drag out the inevidable) or let go and get my head around new proposals. In limbo still....One way or another I would like to stay in touch and keep chatting. That's a given.

Pinga's picture

Pinga

Chansen, it is actually in the best interests of the United Church of Canada.

Reason: the church community that I valued the most encouraged the exchange of ideas, looked at social justice, cared for the other and listed to the stories of folks.....amongst other items

It is a church withint he United Church of Canada with ministers called to it.

So, absolutely that Is what makes the United Church of Canada the most logical to do this type of cafe, and why the cafe has hit home for many of us.

Contrary to being a place to die, it has been aplace where I found others who could express their faith and understanding of the bible in the same way that I do.

It has brought me closer to my denomination, not further away.

chansen's picture

chansen

But, overall, it's not something that brings people closer to faith faster than it pushes them away. If that wasn't the case, why wouldn't more churches do this?

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

I believe one of the most powerful comments made is the fact that this site has answered questions from the ground up and decisions are top down ... a great illustration in the interweaving of two triangles in the Hebrew Star ...

The ground of being as star dust and not the corrupt powers of earth/mankind; Hebrew myth in icons vs the juda'n sense of power. One must know a wee bit and variety of classic tongues. To go there makes one a bit of an odd sort to those that just accept things as they are. Doesn't do to tell the powers of lower needs ... unless you can address their unconscious side ... sort of poke it a bit ... like Chansen has and perhaps learning something in the process of the gentile and humble powers of an unseen light did you ever examine the spectrum from 10 to the zero up to 10 to the 23 ... as far as we can go at present? What is visible energy is only a slight sliver ... a line in the dark as metaphor ... now if this line is warped; will it come back onitself as a reflection of everything ... omega'd ... that's jar'd ... perhaps jar'n or just a thread out of the contain Eire ... almost oppressive; but nothings perfect!

Can "nothing's perfect" be taken another way; like an indelible point? Unseen metaphor! How long does it take to sink in? Now that's enigma at IT's best, but then word is a queer idealism ... is it not, or is that how it isn't with those not a literary as they could be if they didn't fear such an odd and abstract god ... in the darkest of drama ... filmé-no-ire ... cede-ire of le Ba-non ... in essence nothing tuit as "O" that's omicrone ...

I did say the soul couldn't understand nothing without an encompassing and embellishing story to cover up for the lies ... things we're fed by powers who follow the old patriarchs: "The common people shouldn't know!" Thus the higher ups fail do to intelligent support ... a subtle means to ends in an infinite spectre ... star burst?

AaronMcGallegos

Personally, I agree with Pinga. I have always thought WonderCafe is an incredible witness for the United Church denomination. But I also know United Church people and some colleagues who believe what Chansen says above...."how does the denomination benefit from an open online discussion forum?"

chansen's picture

chansen

Before I'm misinterpreted, let me say again that this site has been great. As a recruitment tool, however, it's probably failed. How many UCCan parents would want their teens browsing the forums? If WC.ca has been a successful recruitment tool, why would it be closed? If people were coming to the UCCan over this place, the case to upgrade would be easy to make.

My position is that it is not bringing people into the pews, and, if anything, is hastening the decline. I understand that a handful of people like it, and consider it essential ministry. But the UCCan point is that alternatives exist through Facebook. While true, we know FB sucks for conversation, but if you're the UCCan, how do you justify funnelling money away from other programs and into WC so we can have anonymous threaded conversations?

We've been expecting this announcement for years. Everyone has had these reasons in the backs of their heads. It sucks, and I hope WC.ca continues. I don't expect it will run by the UCCan, but I could be wrong. To see it continue, I'm willing to make a contribution, if it comes to that.

chansen's picture

chansen

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

Personally, I agree with Pinga. I have always thought WonderCafe is an incredible witness for the United Church denomination. But I also know United Church people and some colleagues who believe what Chansen says above...."how does the denomination benefit from an open online discussion forum?"

Right, and to be clear, that perspective is just attacking it purely from a numbers and results perspective. There is a social aspect of connecting people within and outside the UCCan which WC is very good for. There are social reasons to keep WC.ca afloat, but what we lack is a good "business case".

Northwind's picture

Northwind

I agree that this is not a forum that will necessarily bring people into the pews. In fact the idea of focusing on bringing people into the pews is really bothering me lately. Are we only interested in bums in the seats? On some level, probably yes because that also brings in revenue which keeps the organization afloat. This form of ministry does not bring in extra revenue. Perhaps that is a reason why it is so easy to slash it. I think WC is a ministry of its own that may or may not bring people to bricks and mortar UCCans or events. As Pinga said above, it can express the values of the UCCan of supporting journeys of faith, encouraging critical thinking, supporting each other, and social justice. Are we interested in developing these values or worshipping the organization?

carolla's picture

carolla

Amen Northwind - I too am bothered by the "must get people into the pews" thinking that is quite prevalent.  Is "ministry" only to "benefit the denomination" (as Aaron refers to in comments above).  If so, it's a very narrow view ... and one of a church in decline, IMO.  Have we lost a sense of mission?   Has this been replaced by efforts focused on maintenance instead?  

WaterBuoy's picture

WaterBuoy

This is a site for people that ask dangerous questions to those that prefer to set in comfortable pews ...

I go to church not for the masses there but for that rare 10% that are on a quest like I am; "like, what dah elle are these so-called power-hungry Christians going on about?" They appear in bulk to hate as well as any brute.

Then psychologist/psychiatrist do state that it is dangerous for non-reinforced minds to peer  into the dissonent soul of man led blindly by ignorant moral masses.

You don't understand? Perhaps that's best for me and what've learned of here. Sacredness, and mystique are not far afield of apostacy of making a mortal man ... god ... when this is improbable and almost impossible given the evil immersion we get here in reality. Is there something abstractly distant from the absolute god? I hope for such things ... and to protect them maybe imaginary is a good word!

Possibly a gross way to connect and communicate the unseen portions of the indelible psyche ... neigh ineffable amongst pysical powers that believe not in metaphysical things like compassion and m'ello'd thoughts encounterd as wee whines in the night, or owls of whis*pers*on's ... covered fue Zies in the rigging ... sheets?

Like Chasen; I'd be more willing to support a non-place like this than a hard structured church ... constructed mostly of hard-heads & stoics!

carolla's picture

carolla

@ Aaron - does the main UCC website use Drupal? (I think I recall hearing that it does)

If so, I assume it will also soon require the upgrade?  Any plans in place to reduce those costs or change the CMS system used there?  Curious to know how the corporate body views that site in relation to WonderCafe, in terms of cost containment etc. 

paradox3's picture

paradox3

AaronMcGallegos wrote:

Yes, it has been a wonderful witness for our denomination and our faith story (as much as we disagree with each other and struggle with the story.)

It has been an amazing ministry for me, personally, and I am thinking about what to say in the letter I will write to the individual suggested by Aaron.

paradox3's picture

paradox3

chansen wrote:

Before I'm misinterpreted, let me say again that this site has been great. As a recruitment tool, however, it's probably failed. How many UCCan parents would want their teens browsing the forums?

Chansen, 

As the UCCan parent of two young adults (admittedly not teenagers any longer), nothing would please me more!!!

kaythecurler's picture

kaythecurler

I know of several people who spent time on WC and decided to go to their local UC.  Epic fail - the congregation weren't 'ready' for some questioning younger people (younger than their average member - 65ish). Some congregations knew nothing about the Emerging Spirit initiative, or the WC.  The ministers may have been aware though or even a few people in the pews. 

Ministry shouldn't have a focus of benefitting the denomination.  Supporting Mission and Service doesn't provide advantages to the denomination (other than the valuable sense of contributing to something important as part of a larger group).  Donating to Red Cross can do that too, so can volunteering at a school sponsored Breakfast Program.

stardust's picture

stardust

For whoever....

Here's a quote I saved. I've no idea where it came from or who wrote it ...?...perhaps it was on Facebook?

copy/paste:

Aaron tossed out a figure of $10-20K to upgrade the custom if they upgrade the system to Drupal 7 (the current supported release) over on FB. That fits well with my experience doing similar projects at work. He did not give any firm figures on hosting, admin, etc.
paradox3's picture

paradox3

kaythecurler wrote:

I know of several people who spent time on WC and decided to go to their local UC. 

We had two young women show up one Sunday who had been on the Cafe. Sad to say, I wasn't in attendance that week . . . I would have loved to speak to them. 

Back to Social topics